Job Posting: 24/Jan/2023
Closure Date: 14/Feb/2023, 2:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FRSOM
Job Type : Staff position
Type of Requisition: Professional Project
Grade Level: P-4
Primary Location: Somalia-Mogadiscio
Duration: Fixed-term: 1 year with possibility of extension
Post Number: 2009378
CCOG Code: 1A02
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
• FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government to develop policies, strategies and programmes aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the area of FAO’s global mandate and Strategic Objectives. More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, and ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and respond to recurrent emergencies. The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through fisheries, livestock and crop production, to natural resource management, nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The overall objective of the assignment is to increase effectiveness of FAO’s humanitarian, resilience and development programming in Somalia in terms of both internal coordination and integration with the focus on CPF priorities and contributing to Somalia National Development Plan (NDP-9) and United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperative framework (UNSDCF).
The position is located in the FAO Representation in Mogadishu, Somalia.
The Programme Officer reports to the FAO Representative in Somalia, under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer/Head of Programmes – Somalia, and under the technical guidance of relevant technical divisions at headquarters and Decentralized Offices, the Programme Officer will be responsible for coordination of the implementation and follow up of the FAO programme operations and strategies in Somalia.
The Programme Officer will be responsible for supporting the implementation of FAO’s priorities of the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and time-critical interventions.
Develops, implements and evaluates effective leadership and management of major projects and teams in accordance with Office objectives and the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects; monitors and analyses programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective action; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up action;
• Performs specific assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change;
• Researches, analyses and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Generates survey initiatives; reviews, analyses and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
• Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings and conferences to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops and seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries;
• Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
• Coordinates and supports the identification and formulation of new FAO humanitarian, resilience and development Programme opportunities;
• Contributes to wider FAO resource mobilization efforts in the humanitarian, resilience and development programming by ensuring that synergy with FAO and Government policies and programme level information, presentations and updates are available on time;
• Contributes to UN system wide actions on development and monitoring of joint initiatives, joint work plans, reporting and budget and relevant results groups work.
• Supports effective and timely programme implementation by coordinating project planning process with all FAO units and sector coordinators;
• Coordinates Programme Management Unit routine activities and provides strategic support to sectors to ensure coordination and synergy;
• Provides support to programmes/sectors to ensure project management routines are undertaken regularly in coordination with all FAO relevant Units;
• Provides substantive backstopping to programme meetings to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in the preparation and clearance of project documents; ensures their quality and consistency;
• Coordinates the monitoring and reporting of FAO’s contribution to UNSDCF indicators with Sectors and Monitoring and Evaluation (M – E) units;
• Ensures FAO Somalia’s programme and project profiles are updated regularly in coordination with Programme teams;
• Coordinates and supports the formulation and implementation of FAO’s global and regional initiative such as ‘Hand in Hand’ initiative, One Commodity, food system transformation with FAO programme teams.
• Supports internal and external engagement on the FAO Somalia Country Programming Framework (CPF) implementation, alignment and structural reforms necessary for the attainment of intended objectives;
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies in coordination with relevant FAO Somalia units;
• Coordinates the provision of direct technical support and policy advice to Government line ministries as appropriate;
• Coordinates and supports FAO Somalia’s engagement with key technical representatives of Federal and State level government line ministries with relevant units;
• Contributes to the strategic advocacy of FAO Somalia’s humanitarian, resilience and development priorities;
• Contributes to the FAO Somalia knowledge management activities.
• Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in Agricultural Economics, Rural Development, and/or a relevant field including development studies, food security and natural resources management.
• Seven years of relevant experience in programme management related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes related development and emergency interventions, of which five years should be in the African context.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Extent and relevance of knowledge or experience in FAO global, regional and country strategy development and implementation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes.
• Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes related to FAO technical fields and mandate.
• Proven track record in resource mobilization.
• Extent and relevance of experience in and ability to negotiate with senior officials in national governments, inter-governmental organizations and other institutions and in designing collaborative networks and joint programmes.
• Familiarity with the UN system wide policies and processes applying to decentralized locations and knowledge of the context as well as partners and institutions of the specific sub region is desirable.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
• Dependency allowances
• Rental subsidy
• Education grant for children
• Home leave travel
• 30 working days of annual leave per year
• Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
• International health insurance; optional life insurance
• Disability protection
• elements of family-friendly policies
• flexible working arrangements
• standards of conduct
HOW TO APPLY
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
• Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
• Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
• Incomplete applications will not be considered;
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org