WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Date of Issue: 4th April 2023 Closing Date: 17th April 2023
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide and the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
What will you do?
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme in Puntland Area Office, the incumbent will report to the Head of Bossaso Field Office.
- Contribute towards the development of a wide variety of projects, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with Somalia CSP and guidance relevant to the implementation of quality programming.
- Take lead in the implementation of WFP activities, report on progress and performance, ensuring that project deadlines and targets are met.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Somalia Country Office programme strategy as well as partnership engagements including government institutions.
- Coordinate delivery and distribution of food consignments and regularly monitor the effectiveness of distributions.
- Provide programme management support on specific and defined WFP interventions at the Field and Area Office level, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Coordinate the training of Field Office programme staff and cooperating partners (CPs) on the updated WFP’s corporate strategy, policies, guidelines, standard operating procedures (SOPs) for better accountability and transparency.
- Assist partners to ensure that the field-level agreement (FLA) reporting requirements are adhered to and liaise closely with technical units in the Area Office.
- Ensure that CP coordination meetings are organized on a regular basis.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on WFP activities that enable informed decision by management.
- Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, follow up the ongoing interventions, and identify and manage risks.
- Support the capacity strengthening of WFP programme staff, partners, and national government to identify and address state level operational needs.
- Guide and supervise Field Office programme staff, acting as a point of referral and assisting them with analysis and queries related to WFP activities.
- Based on existing standard operating procedures and WFP policies, participate in, and facilitate beneficiary targeting, SCOPE registration and partnership engagement activities.
- Review and verify report documents and ensure accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Do you meet the minimum requirements?
Education: Completion of a University Degree, preferably an Advanced Degree, in Agriculture, Nutrition, Social Science, International Development or other field relevant to international development assistance.
Experience: At least three years of relevant operational, technical and leadership experience in programme implementation.
- Proven experience and ability to work under pressure and independently on technical matters with minimum supervision.
- A sound understanding of the social, economic, political, and cultural environments impacting on livelihoods in Somalia.
- High capacity for leading a team including organizing, coordinating, planning, and managing food and nutrition security programmes for results.
- Experience in building and managing partnerships with government, local community counterparts, donors, or other stakeholders.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proficiency in analysis, management, and synthesis of reports.
- Prior experience working in the UN, INGO or NGO setting is an advantage.
- The candidate must be willing to undertaken periodic missions to remote field locations in support of programme implementation.
Terms and Conditions:
VA closuring date: 17th April 2023
WFP does not charge any application fees to candidates.
Contract Duration: Initial 1 year
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.