Job Identification : 7607
Locations : Mogadiscio, Somalia
Posting Date : 12/20/2022, 11:32 AM
Apply Before : 01/04/2023, 04:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB3
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Economics
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
In the UNDP County Office, the UNDP Economic Recovery, and Institutional Development (ERID) Portfolio supports the Government to develop and implement public sector development policies and strategies. It also assists the government to steer the country on a solid path towards economic recovery in a context of crisis as well as institutional and systems capacity building/strengthening.
The UN Joint Programme Saameynta Scaling up Durable Solutions for Displacement addresses Somalia’s internal displacement challenges in an innovative manner, seeking durable solutions that are affordable and sustainable through addressing specific inter-related systemic blockages, challenges, and opportunities. Under this project, the ERID Portfolio supports UNDP as one of the three Participating UN Organizations to strengthen national partners capacity for jobs and livelihoods and improved forms of participatory governance.
The Project Administartive and Finance Associate works under the overall guidance of the ERID Portfolio Manager and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, to whom she/he reports, in close collaboration with the government counterparts, UNDP operations team, programme staff in other Participating UN Organizations ,donors, private sector and civil society (CSOs) to ensure the successful implementation of UNDP programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions: 1. Ensure implementation of operational strategies (procurement, finance and HR).
2. Ensure effective project financial management.
3. Ensure effective administrative and knowledge management.
4. Networking and relationship management.
1.) Ensure implementation of operational strategies (procurement, finance and HR):
- Ensure consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Ensure Full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Coordinate all support services from the UNDP on recruitment, procurement and financial management.
- Effectively manage contracts with consultants (in coordination with the UNDP finance and procurement units).
- Assist staff with operational / administrative matters.
- Undertake logistical arrangements for project staff and visiting missions (mainly donors and consultants).
- Coordinate and compile asset management records for the project in a timely manner.
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings (logistics and payments) as required.
- Organize and coordinate trainings, conferences and workshops pertaining to the activities and workplan of the unit.
2.) Ensure effective project financial management:
- Regular monitoring of expenses and submission of financial reports to programme management and to donors as per the schedules.
- Provide financial analysis of the programme budgets and expenses
- Monitor programme budget implementation and ensure that expenditures are within the approved budget allotments and in conformity with UN financial rules, regulations and procedures.
- Review and ensure that effective financial controls are in place and are being implemented.
- Coordinate closely with MPTF on donor contracts management, reporting and financial management.
- Update and track the programme delivery rate periodically and on request.
- Provide inputs for project budgets and manage the receivables and expenditures.
- Harmonise partner agencies financial and other reports with donor reporting requirements.
3.) Ensure effective administrative and knowledge management:
- Provide effective administrative support to the project.
- Ensure adequate and retrievable database / filing system for all project documents including soft and hard copies and managing the project archive.
- Attend meetings, take minutes, records, distribute and file agreements as required.
- Advising and guiding staff and consultants on UNDP administrative and reporting requirements and clearance procedures for finance, procurement, recruitment, travel, etc.
- Collating and maintaining up to date data relevant to the programme, drafting routine correspondence, following up pending issues and responding to queries.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
4.) Networking and relationship management:
- Build strong relationships and networks with partners.
- Participate effectively in a team-based information sharing environment.
- Manage complex problems proactively and effectively, including responses to emergencies and novel ideas/plans.
- Implement effective communication tools
4. Institutional Arrangement : The Incumbent will report directly to the UNDP Saameynta Project Coordinator.
Core – applicable to all personnel. Select the relevant level for each competency based on the required behaviours.
- People Management – if the personnel has people management responsibilities, insert the standard text with the link to the people management competencies list.
- Cross-functional & Technical : Insert up to 7 competencies from the approved UNDP Cross-functional & Technical competencies list uploaded on the the competency framework site.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together,
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies: Thematic Area
Business Direction and Strategy
Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome.
Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Business Direction & Strategy
Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
Digital Awareness and Literacy
Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner.
Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms
Please refer to the competency framework site for the entire list of competencies and further explanations.
Minimum Qualifications of the Successful NPSA
Required Skills and Experience
- A Secondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following areas: Business Administration, public administration, social sciences or related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience in finance, administration and programme support service
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.