Note: The position is subject to securing fund.
Job Title: Project Coordinator
NCA Line Manager’s name and job title: Area Coordinator Puntland
Under the direction of the Area Coordinator, the job holder is responsible for organizing and coordinating project activities, ensuring effective planning, scheduling and controlling projects activities, ensures operational effectiveness by executing projects on time, on target and on budget and same time ensuring area plan aligns with the ECHO guidelines, relevant sector and cluster standards, Government policy, takes into account beneficiary feedback, ensures effective monitoring of project scope, timeline, budget, and quality of deliverables / results, ensures effective management of stakeholder relationships, timely submission of project reports and administering all processes and events associated with the project. S/he will ensure effective systems for risk management, audit compliance and good stewardship are in place and in use; ensure effective staff management and capacity building and ensure a safe and secure working environment for staff, ensure effective field-level representation of the project in relevant fora, ensuring coordination and information-sharing mechanisms are in place with relevant government ministries, communities, cluster working groups and INGO stakeholders.
- Ensure regular contextual analyses of the project locations to inform project management decisions.
- Provide an updated contextual analyses / situational report of the project locations on monthly basis. This will be discussed in the project management team and Area Management team meetings and appropriate recommendations made and actions taken.
- Ensure project staff have an up-to-date understanding of the project locations’ socio-economic situation, trends, needs and gaps, and actors involved (who does what and where (3W).
- Ensure effective operational and programmatic planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Ensure project operational and activity plans and budgets are developed and executed.
- Support adherence to key humanitarian standards and sector standards, actively following up on Technical Team Leads recommendations and monitoring uptake.
- Ensure project-based systems and guidelines are communicated to staff and key stakeholders and in use by all staff, and parties implementing the project.
- Ensure coordination and operational effectiveness of the project.
- Coordinates, schedules, tracks, and monitors project activities; escalates issues as appropriate.
- Manage the project execution to ensure its delivery on-time, on-target, within budget, and meet the highest quality reporting standards.
- Ensure proper coordination with support sectors (logistics, HR, Safety and Access, Finance, Technical Advisors ibn CSEE & GBV) to promote technical support, information sharing for effective project implementation and reporting. Take measures to ensure that the project is adequately supported by ensuring support services, safety and access, programmatic technical support, M&E and technical capacity are adequately provided to ensure quality implementation of projects.
- Cultivate a culture of excellence with regards to monitoring project implementation rates to ensure on-time completion and taking active measures to improve performance and reporting.
- Follow up budget execution to ensure efficient and effective utilization of resources (money, staff time and community contributions including their time)
- Foster a culture of trust and mutual respect, encouraging local staff engagement in planning, management, and decision- making.
- Ensure effective internal collaboration and networking and external engagement mechanisms for the project are in place.
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with ECHO, Government, UN agencies, ACT members, Clusters working groups, CASH consortia, etc. at project level ensuring maximum visibility of NCA and the project.
- Ensure (4/3Ws) are filed in and shared with the relevant stakeholders as required (on monthly / quarterly basis).
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with State Government and local authorities in the project areas and where necessary non-state actors and obtain required authorizations and buy-in for NCA’s activities at area level.
- Ensure NCA is represented in key clusters, working groups, NGO coordination bodies, etc. at area level and share with Extended SMT, reports from such meetings.
- Participate in donor meetings at area level and communicate relevant information to the Project Management Team, Area Management Team and SMT.
- Promote ECHO and NCA visibility and interests in the area by representing NCA in government, donors, CSO coordination and other relevant stakeholders’ forums to enhance cooperation and coordination.
- Strengthen existing NCA information-sharing mechanism to promote coordination, knowledge, and visibility.
- Ensure effective systems for risk management, audit compliance and good stewardship are in place and in use throughout the project life cycle.
- Ensure all ECHO and NCA key policies (PSHEA, SC, Anti-Fraud, CoC, and procedures are in place, disseminated and in use by staff and all other stakeholders who participating in the project.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of good stewardship that promotes efficient use of project resources and accountable NCA to the donor and other stakeholders.
- Ensure awareness of, and full compliance with, donor and government requirements, including the timely preparation and submission of quality narrative and financial reports, timely registration of the project to the ministry of Planning and project launch at the local level.
- Work closely with Finance, HR, Logistics teams, program teams to develop, manage and monitor project budgets, ensuring value for money and that project expenditure is within agreed budgets and comply with ECHO and NCA procedures and resources are optimally utilized.
- Spearhead risk assessment, planning, ensure control measures are in place and in use and facilitate the regular review and update of the project risk register.
- Lead in the identification and resolution of challenges which impact project compliance and/or contribute to high-risk impact on the project.
- Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Ensure good quality staff are attracted, retained in the project.
- Ensure all staff related issues are conducted in accordance with NCA and ECHO policies. This includes recruitment, performance review and capacity development.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of trust among the project team for the delivery of high-quality project results.
- Effectively line manage and mentor staff under his or her leadership, ensuring a shared vision, teamwork, effective communication and active engagement in decision-making and management approaches.
- Ensure effective people management systems (PDR, leave system) are in place, monitored, and in use.
- Ensure staff grievances and disciplinary action are addressed in a timely manner in alignment with NCA policy.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of mutual accountability, ensuring staff behaviour models and promotes trust and teamwork.
- Ensure Safe and Secure Working Environment for staff.
- Ensure security mitigation measures in-place and in-use.
- Ensure adherence to Core Security Requirements.
- Take leadership in the timely implementation of security recommendations.
- Promote a culture of security awareness and risk reduction among staff.
- Ensure regular contextual analyses of the project locations to inform project management decisions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned from time to time.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Minimum Qualifications and skills
A university Degree in Project Management, Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, sociology, Development Studies, Humanitarian Studies, or relevant Sector speciality with proven experience of team management is required.
- At least 6 years’ experience in relief and development, of which 3 must be at a senior project coordination and management level in complex / protracted emergencies and recovery operations.
- Proven ability to manage a large and diverse project portfolio in multiple locations.
- Familiarity with EU, ECHO, is required, while other donors as USAID, BHA, UN (WFP, UNICEF, OCHA, UNFPA, UNHCR), NORAD, DANIDA is an added advantage.
- Capacity to provide solid leadership and decision-making skills for efficient and effective project implementation is required.
- Experience implementing Cash Based Programming is required.
- Demonstrated experience in building staff and partners capacity and mentoring a multi-sector team.
- Experience in working in both humanitarian and development context and in transition from emergency to recovery.
- Strong problem solving, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of humanitarian industry including Do No Harm (DNH), Core Humanitarian Standards, Sphere standards, NGO code of conduct, PSHEA and Child safeguarding policies, and humanitarian charter is required.
- Experience in staff safety and access management for humanitarian organizations in complex and insecure environments is a must.
- Very strong organizational, management and communication skills.
- Experience in program design, monitoring and evaluation in a complex humanitarian context.
- Proven financial, logistics and procurement management skills.
- Proactive problem-solver able to unravel and solve multiple complex challenges.
- Strong inter-personal skills, and proven team-player.
- A decisive manager, especially when it comes to performance and people management.
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities.
- Able to work in a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff with varied skill sets.
- Cross cultural sensitivity, balanced worldview, emotional maturity, and the ability to cope with stressful work conditions.
- Fluent in Somali and English
- Excellent analytical, communication and report writing skills.
- Experience in proposal development and fundraising
- Strong personal integrity and commitment to accountability.
- Able to work independently, able to prioritize and be self-motivated.
Work environment: Based in Galdogob with frequent travels to meet beneficiaries and project locations.
Travel: Considerable amount of travel is required within the project areas in Puntland.