Note: The position is subject to securing fund.
Job Title: Project Officer – FSL
Job holder / employee name: TBD
Department / division / team: International Department/Eastern Africa Division/Somalia Country Office , Nugaal, Puntland
NCA Line Manager’s name and job title: Project Coordinator
Position: Project Officer: Food security & Livelihoods (FSL) / Economic Empowerment and Livelihood
Duty Station: Puntland region of Somalia (Garowe)
NCA Line Manager: Project Coordinator – ECHO Project in Puntland
Technical Manager: Economic Empowerment Advisor
Period of Contract: 1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding and performance review
Start Date: Immediately and subject to securing funding.
NCA is seeking a highly qualified and motivated person to fill the above-mentioned position.
Purpose of Position:
The position exists to support the Project Coordinator, Puntland Area Coordinator and Economic Empowerment Advisor to effectively plan, implement, monitor, and report on the Multi-Sectoral Emergency Response to drought affected Vulnerable Populations project in Puntland with a specific focus on ensuring beneficiary access to food and livelihoods assistance through funding from ECHO in the assigned districts in Puntland state . The key tasks S/he will undertake include ensuring the project is implemented in a timely & professional manner, according to objectives, goals & indicators in line with ECHO requirements & based on beneficiary needs as expressed in the design document; the post holder, under the overall guidance of our Project Coordinator and the technical supervision & functional guidance of the CSEE Advisor, will provide crucial project & operational support in the implementation and management of food security and livelihoods activities for the drought response in the assigned districts within Puntland state.
Norwegian Church Aid is an independent humanitarian and ecumenical organization with headquarters in Oslo, Norway. Norwegian Church Aid works together with people and organizations across the world to eradicate poverty and injustice. NCA provides emergency assistance in disasters and works for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, NCA advocates for just decisions by public authorities, business and religious leaders. We help those whose needs are greatest, regardless of ethnicity, creed, political or religious affiliation.
NCA is a member of the ACT Alliance, one of the world’s largest humanitarian alliances, with presence in over 130 countries. The alliance consists of church-based organisations throughout the world and cooperates with organisations across religious faiths. We are now seeking an engaged colleague who will work with us “Together for a just world”.
NCA has been operating in Somalia since 1993. NCA Somalia’s country strategy 2020-2024 covers five thematic areas: Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CRWASH), Gender Based Violence (GBV), Peace Building, Climate Smart Economic Empowerment and Education for Sustainable Development (PB).
- Conduct context and situational assessments and analyses to inform project implementation.
- Support the Project Coordinator, Puntland Area Coordinator and CSEE Advisor in conducting periodic context and needs assessment related to livelihoods and food security of the target groupsin targeted locations.
- Monitor field security situation and keep staff and management updated on developments.
- Contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation in the development of proposals with innovative solutions including digitization within the livestock sector.
- Contribute to development of proposals.
- Program planning and implementation
- Mobilize communities in the project area to participate in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of the project.
- Plan and implement all project activities as per the approved proposal and NCA’s policies and procedures.
- In liaison with the Puntland Area Coordinator, CSEE Advisor and partners, prepare work plans for efficient and timely implementation of the project activities.
- Ensure the efficient delivery of the Multi-Sectoral Emergency Response to drought affected Vulnerable Populations project funded by ECHO under the sector of Climate Smart Economic Empowerment Programme (CSEE) by participating in the planning, implementing, and reporting.
- Responsible for the identification, selection and registration of all project beneficiaries based on the approved criteria.
- Ensure effective integration, collaboration and coordination of the project with other NCA programs and implementing partners.
- Create synergies with other NCA Programmes ( WASH ,GBV, Peace Building and Education)
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the community leaders and the local authorities in the project area.
- Promote community participation through establishment of community linkages that recognize positive contribution to program interventions.
- Participate in field level inter agency coordination meetings e.g. Food Security Cluster and other relevant coordination forums.
- Support other sector programs when need arises.
- In liaison with Area coordinator oversee the Satellite office administration tasks
- Supervise Project field Assistants, Data Entry clerks for beneficiaries’ registration, office cleaner and Security guards in their respective satellite Offices.
- The Project officer will be responsible the day-to-day tasks in the satellite offices.
- Monitoring, Learning and Reporting on the Food Security and Livelihoods component of the project.
- Maintain up to date records of information of all project beneficiaries for follow ups and reporting.
- Compile timely and regular progress and final reports and submit to the Project Coordinator and CSEE Advisor.
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer to regularly update all project monitoring tools while keeping accurate records of the same.
- Conduct monitoring of project activities implemented in the districts assigned in Puntland .
- Ensure food security market data with early warning indicators are collected & disseminate reports in a timely manner.
- Support in the tracking of outcome data of project activities evidenced by accurate data to enhance quality of reporting.
- Monitor & ensure that performance indicators are met & reported on time.
- Identify, document, disseminate change stories, case studies, lessons learned, and best practices.
- Plan staff and stakeholder quarterly review meetings on project monitoring and learning updates, achievements, challenges.
- Ensure the accuracy of all data presented in reports to stakeholders including to local government units, partners, community beneficiaries, among others. Closely liaise with and report to the CSEE Advisor and Area Coordinator and project management team on progress of the livestock sector activities, plans & progress reports
- In collaboration with the MEL Officer, participate in programme related surveys, baselines, needs assessments, reviews and evaluations related to the project at field level.
- Accountability to affected populations (AAP)
5.1. Ensure all food security and livelihoods related project activities have developed contextualized complaint and response mechanisms to aid communities in raising complaints or giving feedback to NCA and ensure this information is used to improve implementation and guide future programming.
5.2. Act as a focal point for Complaints and Response Mechanisms (CRM) for all food security activities of the project and ensure proper documentation and response to all complaints received.
- Budget implementation and management of food security activities under the response
- Ensure timely disbursement of project resources to beneficiaries as well as the monitor performance of project activities against budget.
- Ensure all project budgets are spent in line with ECHO and NCA financial policies and guidelines.
- University Degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, or veterinary / animal health, Humanitarian Studies or Food security & Livelihoods related qualification.
- At least 5 years proven experience implementing Emergency Response programs with particular focus in Emergency Cash Based programming in Somalia.
- Experience in enterprise development, Vocational skills training, Value chain development preferably in Somalia.
- Demonstrated experience in community mobilization, trainings monitoring of programs and reporting of activities will be required.
- Knowledge and experience working in conflict areas including application of Do No Harm, conflict sensitivity analysis, environmental screening of the projects is required.
- Working Knowledge on Results Based Management (RBM), Do No Harm (DNH) and Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (fluency in both English and Somali required).
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, EXCEL spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team.
- Ability and willingness to work and travel throughout Puntland region of Somalia.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively handle stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
- Excellent spoken and written English
Applicants, who meet the requirements and qualifications outlined above, should submit an application letter indicating current and expected remuneration, a detailed C.V. and copies of their certificates and any other supporting documents to:
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
NCA is an equal opportunity employer and women, people with disabilities, and those from marginalized backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.