The DRC Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region and has been providing relief and development services since 1997. DRC is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
About the job.
The selected candidate will be responsible primarily for implementation of Protection programming for the UNHCR project in Mogadishu/Banadir with a specific focus on GBV prevention and response activities. Project activities include the establishment and support of Community-Based Protection Networks with a focus on GBV and Child Protection, awareness-raising sessions and community dialogues, static and mobile protection desks, protection monitoring, as well as safe identification, referral, and provision of individual protection assistance to individuals and households confronting protection risks and/or recovering from protection violations.
- Lead on the establishment, training, ongoing engagement, and support of Community-Based Protection Networks focused on GBV prevention and response and Child Protection;
- Engage regularly with service providers, including other DRC sectors, to ensure that service mappings and referral pathways are updated
- Identify safely and refer individuals and households with multi-sectoral needs and ensure proper follow-up Analyse and support individual and households in need of individual protection assistance in adherence with DRC’s IPA Guidelines
- Support capacity building and coordination of activities in settlements, including delivering training sessions to local partner organizations, community structures, women’s groups, and other duty bearers on key protection topics
- Support the set-up and implementation of static and mobile protection desks
- Conduct rapid protection needs assessments to identify risks and vulnerabilities and develop assessment reports with recommendations to minimize protection risks
- Support the design and delivery of awareness-raising sessions and community dialogues
- Support protection monitoring through the development of specialized tools, the organization and implementation of focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and other forms of data collection
- Engage in joint protection monitoring analysis and other fora for analysing quantitative and qualitative protection monitoring data, as well as the drafting of reports and analyses using the data
- Assess protection needs, identify problems/gaps, and propose timely practical actions to respond to protection problems in coordination with the Protection Team Leader and Protection Coordinator
- Assist the Protection Team Leader to prepare and submit data to the Protection Project Implementation Tracker,5W Reporting, and donor reports
- Ensure adherence to Protection Information Management principles and data protection protocols, including the safe storage of means of verification
- Develop weekly and quarterly work plans in coordination with the Protection Team Leader
- Ensure the regular and accurate uploading of protection data and means of verification
- Liaise and coordinate regularly with other DRC sectors to ensure integrated programming
- Ensure compliance with best practices and standards for protection programming
- Any other duty assigned by the line Manager
Experience Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Bachelor degree in International Law, Political Science, Psychology, Social Science, Public health and/or previous experience with other organization working in Somalia
- Minimum of 2 years’ job experience in Protection/Child Protection and GBV
- At least 3 years’ experience working in project locations
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali
Experience working with Non-Governmental organizations, UN agencies and local communities
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 11 Months.
Band: (Non-management H2)
Designation of Duty Station: Mogadishu Somalia
Start date: February 2023.
The position is open to Somalia national only.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for application is. 29th Janaury 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.