Job Identification : 7630
Locations : Baidoa, Somalia
Posting Date : 01/03/2023, 11:33 PM
Apply Before : 01/10/2023, 10:00 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : P3
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education and Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Knowledge of any other UN language is an asset.
Job Category : Humanitarian & Emergency Response
The Programme Specialist is located at the UNFPA Somalia’s Baidoa’s Sub – Office and oversees the project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. You will lead the programme team and collaborate with the Country Office’s operations and administrative support staff.
You will report to the Deputy Representative, under the technical guidance of the Chief of Health.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
In a global organisation, where many people are based in challenging environments, you will contribute to the effective management of UNFPA programmes in support of national efforts to strengthen Sexual Reproductive Health. Key areas supported include Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care, midwifery, family planning, cervical cancer control and SRH-HIV integration. S/he will work closely with the Ministries of Health and Child Care (MOHCC), national partners, development partners and civil society to enhance Sexual Reproductive Health. Within the context of health system strengthening and financing, the (PS/RMH) analyses relevant political, social and economic environment and trends; provides substantive inputs for the formulation, management, monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of comprehensive maternal health programme related activities.
You would be responsible for:
A. Implementation of key national strategies strengthening Sexual Reproductive Health, including midwifery;
- Contribute to analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to United Nations programming processes e.g. (Common Country Assessment [CCA], and Country Programme Development [CPD], as they relate to Sexual Reproductive Health ;
- Contribute to scanning of the Aid environment through analysis of development partners in terms of priority areas for development assistance, funding mechanisms, gaps and opportunities for resource mobilization and allocation in support of UNFPA interventions aimed at strengthening RHCS;
- Contribute to:
- Development/review of national policies and strategies to promote innovative service delivery models and improve access and utilization of quality maternal health services;
- Strengthening of advocacy for maternal health and professional midwifery services;
- Development of appropriate SR/MH and midwifery communication strategies and corresponding materials;
- Support undertaking of empirical research, including programme-relevant Operations Research and ensure that findings, best practices and lessons learned are fully utilized to improve programme design and delivery;
B. Oversight and management of the CO’s assigned programme portfolio
- Contribute to the formulation of CO programme within the area of thematic responsibility, in line with UNFPA Strategic Plan and sexual and maternal health priorities.
- Provide operational and technical support to the MOHCC on development, implementation and M&E of SR/MH related programme activities, including but is not limited to:
- Strengthening Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care (EmONC) services
- Strengthening midwifery training and services
- Strengthening maternal deaths surveillance and response, including maternal deaths audits and reviews
- Supporting campaign to end obstetric fistula
- Strengthening mainstreaming of family planning in maternal health services
- Support cervical cancer control activities
- Implementation of quality improvement initiatives for maternal health
- Supporting Integrated Community Outreach SR/MH Programme.
- Contribute to formulation of performance indicators and setting of programme milestones and targets to ensure effective monitoring of progress towards achievements of set programme results;
- Provide programme inputs and contribute to drafting of donors’ and UNFPA’s statutory reports and relevant documentation;
- Supervise and lead the work of programme support staff.
C. Strengthening of CO’s strategic partnerships and implementation of CO’s Resource Mobilization strategy
- Contribute technical/programme inputs in inter-agency and national coordination forums around Sexual Reproductive Health and midwifery to maintain collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, civil society, bilateral and multi-lateral development partners.
- Contribute to CO’s efforts in Resource Mobilization through analysis of information on donors, drafting of briefs on areas of cooperation, identification of funding gaps in programmes and opportunities for funding.
D. Provision of quality policy advice and technical support to Government and Civil Society partners and facilitation of Knowledge Building and Management
- Support development and implementation of policies and strategies addressing Sexual Reproductive Health related priorities;
- Support implementation of the national research agenda in the area of maternal health, especially studies/researches aimed at quality improvement of maternal health services.
- Support the organization of capacity building for operations/projects staff on programme issues
The Programme Specialist, Sexual Reproductive Health oversees the work of the programme team as well as consultants, advisors, and experts and establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi- lateral and bilateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues. S/he must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate.
Internal contacts include the Representative, Deputy Representative, Assistant Representative, the CO’s programme/ technical team. External contacts include other UN agencies in the country, and counterparts and partners in Country programme activities, including international NGOs, experts etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in Medicine, Public health, Midwifery, Social Sciences or related field .
Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 years’ professional experience preferably in public health, programme management in the public or private sector, including international development assistance.
- Experience in SRHR programme implementation and service provision including experience in gender/GBV mainstreaming in health.
- Proven experience in Family Planning, Maternal and Neonatal health including Obstetric Care (essential and EmONC and adolescent sexual and Sexual Reproductive health and right)
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in sexual reproductive health and rights programming in humanitarian and post-conflict recovery settings.
- Knowledge of international Sexual Reproductive Health issues with specific attention to gender-aware and gender-sensitive and human rights approaches.
- Experience and capacity in development and delivery of SRHR training components to government, NGO, and community level participants.
- Field experience is strongly desirable – Strong track record of technical leadership, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
- Knowledge of international Sexual Reproductive Health issues with specific attention to gender-aware and gender-sensitive and human rights approaches. Experience in health sector review, especially Sector Wide Approaches, an asset;
- Experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Demonstrated leadership, facilitation, and team working skills and ability to establish harmonious working relations in an international and multicultural environment.
- Field experience in complex emergencies, including humanitarian emergency response is an asset;
- Prior experience in the UN system will be a strong asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
Other Desirable Skills:
- Initiative, strong conceptual and analytical abilities, sound judgment, strong interest in Maternal Health, especially the mission of the United Nations Population Fund and dedication to the principles of the United Nations.
- International experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated representational, leadership and management skills.
Fluency in English both written and spoken is required. Knowledge of any other UN language is an asset.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for Impact
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Managerial Competencies (if applicable):
- Providing strategic focus,
- Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,
- Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities
Note : UNFPA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNFPA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.