Position: Admin/Human Resource Officer
Contract Duration: 6 months
Direct Hierarchy: REACH FLAT Manager
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting, and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
REACH has been operating in Somalia since 2012 and has multiple research cycles including two large-scale national assessments (Joint Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment and Detailed Site Assessment) as well as several other smaller assessments all aimed at providing intersectoral analysis of the response. In addition, there is a cash and markets team, which provide third party monitoring to the largest cash consortium in Somalia and Joint Market monitoring for the Shelter, NFI and WASH clusters.
REACH is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the position of Admin/HR Officer, Mogadishu, Somalia.
Under the line management of the FLAT manager in Mogadishu, the Human Resources Officer is responsible for the follow-up of all issues relating to administration, recruitment, travel, authorisations, legal issues specifically for REACH staff in the whole Ken/Som mission.
In his/her mission, the HR Officer will be hosted by ACTED and will fall under the direct responsibility and management of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates for all Administrative, Security, and relevant Logistics and Finance issues. S/he will therefore fully abide to ACTED’s Security, Administration, and relevant HR, Logistics and Finance rules and regulations.
- Administration Management:
- Draft the following documents:
- All administrative letters – Internal notes, regulations, memos etc; – Official letters/documents concerning issues with governmental offices, NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Follow up of all legal issues, in coordination with Capital Administration. – Ensure compliance of ACTED’s procedures to legal requirements of the country and ACTED management. – Follow Communication cost and Purchase of Mobile Cards in coordination with logistics depart,ent (maintain Records) – Management of ACTED’s premises lease (renewal of rental contract; etc.) as required – Ensure good organization of ACTED’s guest houses and adequate accommodation of guests – Ensure an adequate provision of office supplies according to the ACTED Logistic Manual (preparation of Order Forms, etc.); – Follow up the office supply stock; – Maintain and check the Administrative filling system – Filling all Administrative Documents and letters – Update Authorized Signatory Table for the Field Office every 6 month or when ever one of the signatories is changed
- Human Resources Management
- Inform bases/ staff (national/international) on public holidays in a timely manner.
- Control & check attendance sheet of staff in all bases Kenya, Somalia, and Somaliland
- Inform Coordination and FLAT Manager in regard to any observed breach of ACTED regulations that could lead to award or disciplinary actions as per ACTED HR Manual;
- Follow up of staff appraisal forms with relevant department managers.
- Follow up of staff leaves – supervise his/her team to provide necessary forms for staff, if needed.
- Follow up of all issues related to social security and insurance.
- Prepare standard as well as project specific organigrams.
- Ensure all staff have comprehensive ToRs;
- Management of Award and or disciplinary action to staff as per ACTED HR Manual & after approval of Country Director.
- Ensure ACTED HR standard templates application in line with ACTED HR Manual/internal regulations
- Check of Appraisals summary prior to Submission to Coordination for approval
- Ensure that ToRs are prepared by line-manager prior to release of the vacancy announcement.
- Prepare advertisements of vacancies for all staff and follow up with relevant bases to ensure a smoot recruitment process as per recruitment plan;
- Ensure to collect all required documents of applicants as indicated in the ACTED HR Manual;
- Review all CVs and complete short listing in consultation with hiring manager.
- Prepare a comprehensive list of potential candidates to be invited for interview for Coordination or hiring manager as appropriate.
- Ensure contacting the candidate’s references (“Reference Check”) prior to offering the position;
- Collect all information required for personal folder (ID card, photos, “recruitment package” etc.)
- Ensure to check successful candidate “Reference Check” prior to offer the position
- Develop a standard filing system for soft and hard copies for all HR/Administration related matters.
- Personal Folders:
- Create personal folders for national & international staff at the day of their arrival.
- Ensure confidentiality of personal folders.
- Ensure a follow-up/update of the personal folders from bases and capital on 1st week of N+ month.
- Review, follow up, and Completion of pending FLAT issues.
DATA CONFIDENTIALITY AND PROTECTION
The HR Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes, ensuring full compliance with ACTED data protection policy and SOPs. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to ACTED and its partners or collected during his/her assignment with ACTED.
Qualification and Technical Skill
- Human qualities
- Organizational value alignment
- Thinking outside of the box
- Adaptation to different work situations
- Dedication and self-commitment
- Autonomy and self-direction
- Management skills
- Leadership – inspire and encourage others within the team;
- Decision making and problem solving
- Achieving results
- Teamwork and team leadership
- Process skills
- Transparency and Accountability;
- Planning and organizing;
- Operationalizing – concrete actions with measurable outputs
- Effective communication
- Academic Excellent academic qualifications, preferably including a Master degree in relevant discipline;
- Research skills Proven experience with complex research methods. Excellent analytical skills.
- Software skills Proven knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, to include Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Advanced skills in R, SPSS and/or STATA or other statistical analysis software are an advantage; Experience with InDesign an asset.
- Familiarity aid system Familiarity with the aid system is a strong asset;
- Years of work experience At least 3 years of relevant working experience;
- Experience in humanitarian settings Experience working in humanitarian complex humanitarian settings with vast hard to reach areas, an asset
- Management skills Proven team management experience and skills; ability to build assessment capacity of team through training and mentoring
- Communication/reporting skills Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
- Multi-tasking skills Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles;
- Level of independence Proven ability to work independently;
- Cross-cultural work environment Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Experience in geographical region Past experience in the HoA region is desirable;
- Language skills Fluency in English required, competency in Somali an asset;
- Security environment Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment
How to apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March, 2023 with the subject line “REACH ADMIN/HR OFFICER _MOGADISHU”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.