Position: REACH Senior Field Officer (SFO)
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: REACH Field Coordinator
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting, and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process. REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services: (a) need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams; (b) situation analysis using satellite imagery; (c) provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
REACH has been operating in Somalia since 2012 and has multiple research cycles including two large-scale national assessments (Joint Multi-Cluster Needs Assessment and Detailed Site Assessment) as well as several other smaller assessments all aimed at providing intersectoral analysis of the response. In addition, there is a cash and markets team, which provide third party monitoring to the largest cash consortium in Somalia and Joint Market monitoring for the Shelter, NFI and WASH clusters.
REACH is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the position REACH Senior Field Officer to support our REACH team in Mogadishu with frequent travel to field missionsMogadishu, Somalia.
Under the supervision of the REACH Field Coordinator, the REACH Senior Field Officer is responsible for the management and implementation of data collection and cleaning for multiple assessments in Somalia.
In his/her mission, the REACH Senior Field Officer will be hosted by IMPACT’s global partner ACTED and will fall under the direct responsibility and management of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates for all Administrative, Security, and relevant Logistics and Finance issues. S/he will therefore fully abide to ACTED’s Security, Administration, and relevant HR, Logistics and Finance rules and regulations.
- Assessment Preparation and Training;
- Undertake travel and conduct preliminary planning missions in assessment sites
- In coordination with the REACH Field Coordinator and operations staff prepare all details related to data collection (field schedule, daily collection quote, logistics and administration) according to specified methodology
- Coordinate and plan assessment team training and facilitate sessions of the assessment training.
- Data Collection in the Field
- Follow all guidance from REACH Field Coordinator while in the field; ask questions when necessary
- Collect data independently in line with specified tools and methodology.
- Accompany and actively manage data collectors in the field and ensure accurate data collection as specified in the methodology.
- Communicate any delay in data collection to relevant senior staff
- Participate in debriefings with assessment staff as needed.
- Assure the quality of the data collected based on REACH quality standards. Spot-check for accuracy during data collection.
- Ensure care of all REACH inventory including daily check of assessment mobile phones
- Data Validation and Data Cleaning
- Download all data from the mobile phones at the end of each data collection day
- Spot-check for accuracy at the end of each day; question team leaders about any inaccuracies observed and review in daily team debriefs.
- Perform data cleaning at the end of each assessment day
- Follow-up on errors or irregularities in data collection with enumeration team on a daily basis
- Field staff management
- Train all field officers on data collection tools and survey methods
- Liaise with each field officer about weekly/biweekly work plans.
- Assure the attendance of field officers at trainings and other mandatory meetings.
- Enforce field officers’ compliance with ACTED code of conduct in country.
- Timely flag any issues with field officers, deadlines, or anything influencing the data collection at field level.
- Report any misconduct from the field officers that affects the field work and safety of the assessment activities.
- Assure field officers attendance at their monitoring sites.
- Conduct field officers’ performance appraisals.
- Safety and Security
- Follow ACTED safety and security protocols and norms inside the country.
- Follow ACTED code of conduct in country.
- Communicate any security incidents immediately to the Field Coordinator and to the security management team
- Ensure that data collected is removed from paper or smartphone platforms as soon as the data has been transferred to the REACH server
- Ensure the privacy and security of the information collected in the field
- Logistics Management
- Will be responsible for the logistics of the field team during the data collection activities by coordinating
- Vehicle transport
- Accommodation if need be
- Provide work plans and schedules as necessary to the REACH assessment/GIS/field coordinator.
- Will provide support in organizing movement of REACH teams to and from field locations.
- External relations support
- The senior field officer will be primary face of REACH in the field by:
- Representing REACH with partners in the field
- Liaising with relevant local authorities for seeking access authorization that REACH can conduct all its field activities smoothly and as needed.
- Developing and maintaining contacts in his/her field location
Do any other tasks assigned that are necessary to support REACH mission in the country
Technical and Academic skills
- Excellent academic qualifications, including First Degree in relevant discipline (eg data management or statistics)
- Analytical skills in qualitative, quantitative, and geo-spatial data
- 3 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian settings a benefit.
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting.
- Excellent team management skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel.
- Familiarity with the aid system and understanding of donor and governmental requirements.
- Somali Language required, English an advantage.
- Ability to operation Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management Software.
- Prior experience of mobile data collection tools
- Ability to operate qualitative data analysis.
- Ability to work independently.
How to apply
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March, 2023 with the subject line “REACH SENIOR FIELD OFFICER (SFO) – MOGADISHU”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.