Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organization (INSO) is an international non-governmental organization that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
Founded in 2015, INSO Somalia and Somaliland assists NGOs in mitigating the challenges of working in an insecure operating environment. The platform enhances safety preparedness and support through the provision of specialized, coordinated, and focused safety-related support.
We currently support 135 NGOs in the HOA Country Office in Hargeisa, Somaliland, field offices in Puntland, Galmudug and Mogadishu.
As part of INSO Somalia/Somaliland, you will have a unique opportunity to develop or deepen your understanding of this fascinating and complex environment.
We are now hiring our Safety Advisor- Mobile. This position in based in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
Reporting to Deputy Director, you will be responsible for a range of analysis tasks, providing advice, production of written briefs and identification of trends and patterns within quantitative datasets of security incidents.
- Participate proactively in defining INSO strategy
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Participate in humanitarian coordination meetings and provide access and security enabling information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through alerts, reports, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Provide technical backstopping to regional teams when respective Safety Advisors are on leave
- Effectively represent, promote, and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality, and neutrality.
- Translate perspective of regional teams’ operations into insights which can improve the quality and efficiency of INSO programming.
- Pro-actively collect information relevant to NGOs safety and security: create and maintain a diversified network of information sources (Governments, NGOs, journalists, internet, elders, businesses etc) and shared with the regional offices.
- Assist the Deputy Director (DD) to undertake his/her duties.
- Assist the Deputy Director in coordinating the regional teams, and updating or developing new INSO products such as access briefs, access map, area of influence, etc.
- Supervise all missions to update the existing access briefs or producing new ones
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Masters level education or equivalent in a relevant field.
- Proven writing, editing, and analytical skills.
- Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Strong writing and proven analytical abilities
- Personal and professional resilience in a fast-moving, high-output, quality-driven program.
- Experience in the humanitarian, and/or risk management and/or humanitarian access sectors.
- Independent drive, motivation, and excellence, and ability to operate and sustainably manage staff and teams under strict systems and deadlines.
- Well-developed personal, organisational and team management skills and standards in a diverse multicultural setting.
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles and their application
- 2 years recent experience in Somalia/Somaliland ideally in an NGO safety or analysis role or equivalent.
- Demonstrable understanding of security dynamics in Somalia/Somaliland
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Existing information networks.
- Local language skills.
Key Personal Competencies:
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A people manager
Terms & Conditions:
12-month renewable contract, €4550 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 calendar days of R&R every 10 weeks with a €1250 R&R allowance each cycle, housing, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and AD&D insurance.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
How to Apply
Please submit completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference “SA- Mobile” in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- A one-page cover Letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with competencies required for the role (2 pages max).
- Updated CV (3 pages max).
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10 pages max).
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.