P.S: Please ensure that you fill in all details before submitting your application. Empty and incomplete applications will not be considered.
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across Ten countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and Sudan). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Ensure proper implementation of the safety and security policies, procedures, processes and guidelines including evacuation, security audit, drills etc.
- Identify safety & security needs for Jubbaland NRC compounds and premises and ensure the availability of adequate lighting, equipment and other resources.
- Train staff on safety and security, making sure that all staff members are familiar with organisational contingency plans regarding incident response
- Provide all staff with regular safety and security briefings and updates and ensure that all staffs adhere to security policies and procedures.
- Conduct regular security and risk assessments for all NRC Jubbaland operational areas
- Organize and facilitate staff evacuation in emergency situation or staff in critical medical conditions
- Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information and analysis in Jubbaland
- Ensure vehicle and staff movement are monitored through structured radio checks and contacts with all field staff and vehicles
- Ensure that all communication, security and fleet assets are recorded and assets inventory list is updated.
- Ensure all the necessary safety and security equipment are available and in good condition
- Maintain custody of the office keys
- Prepare periodic security updates and reports
- Supervise, assign duties, train and appraise security staff
- Any other similar task assigned by the supervisor
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university degree graduate in security management or any other relevant field minimum of 3 years’ work experience with and understanding the security management process in humanitarian INGO context
Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
What We Offer:
Contract period: 1year, with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.