DRC Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region and has been providing relief and development services since 1997. DRC is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Overall Purpose of role:
The overall aim of the Safety assistant post, he/she will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day oversight of DRC Somalia Safety Risk Management function at area level. This includes ensure compliance with the DRC Somalia Programme safety policies, plans and procedures within his/her areas of responsibility; incident reporting through the department’s internal communications platform; monitoring staff movements; delivering safety orientation and pre-departure briefings; static guard management; conducting area level and site specific security risk assessments and safety improvement plans; staff movements and communications; providing safety advisories and notifications and aiding in the delivery of safety training and capacity building of program staff to enable DRC Somalia Programme operations to be implemented in a safe and secure manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
The role of the post holder will predominantly fall into the following key responsibility, but not limited to.
Staff movement, communications and equipment issue, oversight, and support:
- Supports with reviewing movement requests, ensuring all information is complete, correct and assists with the supporting security risk assessment and issuing of safety guidance and advise, as per the DRC Somalia Programme Safety related policies, plans and procedures.
- Supports the issue of serviceable safety equipment is completed to support all field deployments and program staff; Delivering equipment familiarization with program staff to ensure correct usage is maintained while in the field; Equipment maintenance completed to ensure serviceable safety equipment is available to support all program activities.
- Supports the respective DRC Somalia Programmes logistics and fleet department with supporting field level movement oversight; Supports the respective AM/BM and confirms all movements are conducted and in-line with the DRC Somalia Programme Field Travel Safety and Security SOPs.
Staff briefings and new staff orientation:
- Aids in the delivery of new staff safety orientation briefings to all new DRC Somalia Programme staff, visitors, and consultants (both national and international) with technical support from the Country Safety Coordinator to ensure the area, state and country level safety policies, plans, procedures, and protocols is fully acknowledged.
- Aids in the delivery with technical support from the Country Safety Coordinator of pre-departure and post safety briefings to all field staff prior and post field deployments to ensure the staff are familiar with and fully understand the DRC Somalia Programme safety policies, plans, standard operating procedures, and protocols.
Static security and asset management:
- Aids the Country Safety Coordinator with ensuring the physical protection system (access control, guards, perimeter protection, building protection) at each DRC facility at area and field level is operational.
- Assists the Country Safety Coordinator in maintaining the Safety departments current asset register at area level while supporting the respective supply chain focal point and area level management. Oversight on all assets that are both utilized and stored (Thuraya satellite phones and UHF radio’s, etc). Assists the DRC supply chain department to ensure that the overall DRC asset register reflects the Safety Department current asset register.
Security risk assessments and safety improvement planning:
- Conduct regular security risk assessments at area and field level, of building and compound infrastructure and area specific locations, ensuring a safety improvement plan is drafted, reviewed by the CSC, and approved prior to the implementation of mitigation measures and strategies.
Assessment, planning and information management:
- Under the supervision of the Country Safety Coordinator, draft and disseminate as required SMS alert advisories for DRC staff in the Safety WhatsApp group when relevant and significant security incidents occur, or elevated threat levels are reported.
- Conduct regular security risk assessments with the technical guidance and support from the Country Safety Coordinator at area level, of building and compound infrastructure and area specific locations, ensuring a safety improvement plan is drafted, reviewed, and approved prior to the implementation of mitigation measures and strategies.
- While supporting the respective AM/BM and under the guidance of the Country Safety Coordinator, ensure compliance is maintained with the safety incident reporting SOP and all safety and security incidents are reported, managed and followed up with in a timely manner.
Experience, education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Computer skills (primarily MS Office applications), especially Microsoft Excel.
- Diploma/Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to humanitarian work or risk management
- At least one-year Experience working with INGOs, UN agencies, other international agencies as a safety assistant.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Ability to comprehend security related subjects as threats/risk management, security management, personal and organizational security awareness.
- Competent and literate in English, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 6 Months.
Band: (Non-management – I2 Step 1)
Designation of Duty Station: Beletwetne Somalia
Start date: April 2023.
The position is open to Somalia national only.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 10th March 2023.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.