Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
PROJECT ID: P172434 Grant No.: IDA-D8370
Assignment Title: Security Advisor
Reference No.: SO-MOECHE-318365-CS-CQS
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Somalia
Submission deadline: 18th Dec 2022
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will finance key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) intends to hire a Consultant (Security Advisor) to work closely with the various implementing entities and project unit for overall project security management.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The security advisor will facilitate the engagement and day-to-day management of all aspects of the SecMF, including SecRA and SecMP functionality at the Federal and FMS levels the Security Advisor will be the PMU key contact person for security issues and will be responsible for the recruitment, supervisions, and collaboration with the SRMC, as well as building the PMU’s in-house capacity to professionally manage all Project security-related matters.
In coordination with the World Bank and other government entities, and with guidance from the PMU Manager, the Security Advisor will be responsible for:
- Supporting the PMU team in preparing and validating Security Risk Assessments (SecRA) and Security Management Plans (SecMP);
- Ensure the qualitative functionality of all Project site-specific SecRA and SecMP, including iterative development of all Project risk tables and SecMPs in line with the requirements of the Project SecMP and the Project Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP);
- Assume a direct leadership role as the security focal point for the PMU and PIU teams, FMS authorities, civil work contractors and project workers, ensuring a harmonization of SecRM approaches across the Project sites;
- Ensure timely communication of security risk assessment results to all relevant partners including the PMU, FMS, Implementing Partners (IPs) and contractors;
- Provide extensive onboarding briefings to all project-related partners ensuring that these organisations provide adequate security briefings to their respective Project Workers, beneficiaries and other stakeholders;
- Develop and manage a daily security information briefing to PMU, PIU and related partners – typically a summary of key security developments in localized areas
- Maintain appropriate information management for all SEHCD and Rajo Kaaba projects security-related communications, including travel approvals, weekly SITREPs, SMPs and security bulletins
- Prepare a monthly and Quarterly Security Report for the PMU and the World Bank Security Consultant
- Ensure and maintain adequate networking with other risk management agencies, including military and security forces, the UN and INSO, on security risk management and related developments; and
- In collaboration with the PMU and PIU teams, ensure appropriate internal training and development on security risk management for all SEHCD and Rajo Kaaba project-related persons in Federal, State and District levels.
Skills and Qualifications
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Security Studies, Social or Political Science, Public Administration, Security Management and/or other relevant disciplines. Having a Master’s degree in Security-related fields is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant working experience in the security sector, security risk management or similar fields.
- A minimum of five years operational field experience in Somalia.
- Ability to travel widely in Somalia to Regional Project sites.
- Proven ability to work simultaneously at the FMS and Federal levels of Government.
- Demonstrated experience in teamwork and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing and reporting security risks and developing security planning for large-scale field operations.
- Experience in providing security risk management training and individual development programmes.
- Experience and understanding of ISO 31000, Risk Management – Principles and Guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work within and build a team environment, excellent communication and negotiation skills, ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a diverse work environment.
- Ability to adapt and cope with changes and work-related pressures.
- Excellent computer skills, including website content management; and
- Excellent command of Somali and English language (oral and written).
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Mogadishu Somalia with travels to the Federal Member States.
- The Ministry of Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
How to apply
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm Mogadishu time (Excluding public holidays)
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 18th Dec 2022 at 12:00 Hours (Mogadishu Time) – marked clearly as “Security Advisor– Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
Human Capital Development Project Unit (HCDPU)
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Zoope Area, Mogadishu
Federal Republic of Somalia