Position: Security Officer
Location: Mogadishu and Kismayo, Somalia
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: Security Manager
Starting date: May 2023
Number of Positions: Two (2) positions
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the Two (2) Security Officer positions in one (1) MOGADISHU and one (1) KISMAYO, Somalia.
Under the supervision of the Security Manager (line manager) and the Country Security Manager (department manager), the Security Officer is responsible for overall management of Security of ACTED programs, staff, and property.
He / She (hereafter referred to as he) is responsible for following the local context and security situation and making analysis of how this may impact upon ACTED as an organization and on the successful implementation of ACTED programs.
I. Context analysis and Security and Contingency Planning:
- Provide regular contextual security reports and share with Security Manager/Country Security Manager.
- Assist area coordination in the draft of security plans, risk analysis and other security documentation. Make recommendations and suggestions and ensure the revision of these security plans and policies as needed.
- Ensuring that contingency plans for each office and guesthouse (including for Evacuation, Relocation, Hibernation, and Medical Evacuation) are in place. Effectively disseminated to all relevant staff.
- Support the development, and regular update, of context documents that support an understanding of the context and security information to the broader management team.
- Actively participate in program kick off meetings and weekly area meetings to ensure ACTED programs and program areas are well understood and that security procedures are adapted and developed as related to programs.
II. Staff, Program and Premises Safety and Security:
- Oversees the daily tasks of the security guards at the ACTED compound (external agency, not ACTED staff), ensure that security guards are adhering to their ToR and that all security procedures are understood and respected.
- On an adhoc basis the Security Officer should patrol the property with security guards; monitor and assess security equipment and tools, ensuring that equipment is working or that tools required are in place; inspect the office and guesthouse compound, and review the possibility to use all access/exit points.
- Develops Security Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) applicable to his base of operations and participates in the development of the Security Plans to preserve the safety and security of all ACTED personnel, assets and operations.
- Ensures that all Security SOPs are understood by all relevant people and that they are implemented. This includes conducting adhoc and random checks of all security related procedures and the respect of all details in the security related guidelines.
- Ensure that the entrance and departure of all persons to/from ACTED premises is monitored according to SOPs.
- Take appropriate security/safety measurements to limit and mitigate the security/safety risk and damages of ACTED premises in base.
- Ensure ACTED office and guesthouse are well equipped with working fire extinguishers, first aid kits and updated emergency contact list.
- Ensure all vehicles equipped with updated fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and ACTED emergency number, if not, immediately report to AC to proceed with logistic team.
- Ensure security guards have access to basic security equipment (torch, mobile phone + charger and credit,) and updated ACTED emergency contact list.
- In collaboration with logistics, ensure there is a safe area for fleet parking, both during the day and overnight where necessary.
- Ensure staff are always updated on the security situation within the areas of intervention.
- Prepare security materials including short presentations, inductions, etc.;
- Prepare and conduct a security induction / briefing for all national and international staff.
- Contribute to Security Risk Assessments within the mission area.
- Liaise with the logistics officer and monitor those regular checks of all safety related equipment is conducted.
III. Security assessments:
- With SM, ensure a security assessment form is in place and used when conducting all assessments.
- Conduct security assessment of all ACTED areas of intervention (distribution points, ITS, CBO’s, etc) according to security assessment form in a timely manner, as agreed with area coordination and programs.
- Assist AC to analyze the relevance and when appropriate provide further security measurements for specific areas, this may include coordination with police and gendarmerie to provide security back up in case of any request.
- Ensure security assessments feed into an overall map of areas of intervention, over which security phases (and therefore procedures), can be aligned.
IV. Communication and reporting:
- Communication is the main pillar of security; ensure always to maintain a solid communication with staff, security organization and other stakeholders within the Office and in areas of interventions and value any information, even based on rumors and pass to direct supervisor (AC);
- Daily review and communication with multiple sources to understand and present the most up to date information to area and country coordination. Media sources (English and Somali), INGO’s, Government and related sources, personal contact, tribes etc.;
- Provides weekly security and context updates (daily or hourly as required, dependent upon the current security context);
- Attends monthly security group meetings – internal and external;
- Ensure that communication tools and equipment are functioning well and in working condition, advising the AC of any issues to follow up with logistics.
- Advice the AC to follow up with logistics, when mobile phone are not adhering to security needs of being available and fully charged;
- Ensure that multiple communication channels are accessible, as per country security guidelines.
- Coordinate with local security organizations (police and gendarmerie), as requested by area or country coordination.
- Prepare Security Incident Reports (SIR) after any security incident and circulate this to the, AC and SM;
- Update and circulate monthly the Security Incident Report database.
- Update daily the context database, circulating weekly (AC) and monthly (AC, SM).
- Maintain confidentiality, impartiality, and neutrality in all aspects of security arrangements.
- Update the Security tree monthly or as larger HR changes are made.
- Ensure the satellite phones are tested periodically and staff are briefed on set up and use.
- Ensure all ACTED staff understand the procedure to follow in the event of a breakdown in communication or loss of contact.
- Contribute to the testing of the security tree on direction of the Security Manager or Area Coordination.
V. Liaison with humanitarian, military, community, and other actors
- Establish a strong relationship with others security actors, including INGO, SNGO and agencies working in the security management filed.
- Share security updates with ACTED coordination.
- Report on all compound security and reporting from bases on agreed timeframes.
VI Briefing and training (area level)
- Provide security briefings for all incoming ACTED staff with follow-up periodically or when applicable.
- Provide security briefing to staff as needed and ensure that all staffs adhere to security policies and procedures. This includes briefing to all newly recruited staff joining ACTED, and induction briefings for visiting personnel.
VII. Operational support
- Report any damage to perimeter fence, warehouse, or other structures to the logistics team.
- Ensure constant update of the emergency contact list and timely issuance of ID cards.
- Ensure a proper level of preparation before movement on the field, transportation means are adapted, a good fleet maintenance, and set movement rules which are adapted to the local context to support the Logistic team in Country. Ensure Operational follow-up of movements.
How to apply
- Bachelor’s Degree in security management or Safety management or any other related education
- In-depth knowledge of security management and risk management
- Proven knowledge in occupational Health Safety environment.
- Investigations training is an added advantage.
- Computer literacy is mandatory.
- Basic First aid and fire safety training.
- Extensive knowledge of Country’s context.
- Willingness to travel up to different locations in Somalia.
- Being conversant in Somali language will be considered an advantage.
- Fluency in Somali and English language is a must.
- High level of integrity and honesty.
- Ability to work independently.
Qualified national persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March, 2023 with the subject line “SECURITY OFFICER_ (indicate location eg MOGADISHU OR KISMAYO” Kindly indicate only one LOCATION and Apply for ONLY ONE POSITION
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted..
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.