Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Design
- Ensure that the MEL systems for the Somalia Programs are in compliance with Mercy Corps’ global, regional and country policies, procedures, standards and strategic initiatives.
- As needed, assist in the coordination of Mercy Corps’ specific and any consortium MEL activities.
- Assist in program strategy design, planning and implementation to ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ Minimum Standards, including the use of standardized tools and indicators and documentation methodologies.
- Lead and support the design and implementation of assessments and other pre, ex-ante and post data collection and analysis.
- Support learning-to-action events, reflection session to analyze data for programmatic use and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design, planning and implementation.
DATA MANAGEMENT AND QUALITY CONTROLS
- Assist program teams to develop and maintain knowledge and Information Management System to support data collection, reflection, analysis and reporting needs.
- Ensure quality control procedures and accuracy of entered data and comparing it with the existing filing system to make sure all records are consistent and aligned.
- Provide support in the development of MEL Plans, tools, survey design, methodology, data analysis, and other services as may be required for program monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure program teams (including partners) are compliant with donor monitoring, evaluation and reporting requirements (adhere to donor MEL guidelines)
- Play a key role in the development and review of program, sector intervention strategies and MEL frameworks and document changes to generate learnings and ideas for programs.
- Maintain an up-to-date database that reflects progress on indicators (including disaggregated beneficiary counts) using TolaData.
- Coordinate assessments, evaluations and monitoring surveys in area of operation. This will entail development of Scopes of Work, development of survey tools, trainings and management of data collectors, report writing and facilitating discussion on the results.
DOCUMENTATION AND REPORTING
- Regularly document lessons learned, best practices, program data analysis summaries, and evaluations and provide evidence-based information, success stories, case studies and other high quality, results-based documentation.
- Produce quality program reports and support program teams to review and improve on quality of reporting.
- Visit sites and partners to collect supplementary data, stories and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams and support partner-organizations with proper documentation and report generation.
leadership and Capacity Building
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members (including partner staffs) to develop and maintain an excellent MEL system and facilitate periodic reflection and analysis of program monitoring information that feeds into programming and learning.
- As needed, support in the training and oversight of enumerators for data-collection.
- Maintain professional relationships with local government officials, private sector partners, NGOs, other development organizations, and civil society organizations.
- Maintain an active advisory role with the program and MEL team to help guide them towards robust and relevant data collection.
- Work with MEL and IT staff to maximize the value and utility of technology initiatives for effective MEL for the Somalia Program.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to credit Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor or representatives.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: MEL Officers and Assistants (TBD)
Reports Directly To: Country MEL Manager
Works Directly With: Program Managers, Program Team Leads, Field Managers, Program Teams, Communications teams, Program Support Teams
Knowledge and Experience
- Must hold at least a bachelor’s degree in Economics, Agriculture, Demography, Statistics, Business Administration or relevant field (MA/Msc/MBA or equivalent preferred).
- Other specific trainings in Project Management and Monitoring and Evaluation are highly desired
- At least five years of MEL experience (or similar) – preferably in Somalia/land.
- Should understand concepts and demonstrate skills in monitoring and evaluation, results frameworks/program logics, and participatory monitoring.
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative data collection and reporting techniques.
- Should be able to design and implement surveys, have knowledge of commonly used sampling techniques.
- Experience with facilitation, capacity building, formal and informal knowledge transfer, partnership strengthening, and empowering staff through opportunities for growth and development.
- Experience leading learning extraction, development and sharing as part of the monitoring and evaluation feedback process.
- Familiarity with data visualization and data analytic knowledge of statistical analysis software such as Tableau, SPSS, EPI Info and mobile data collection platforms preferable.
- Experience with market price monitoring and analysis.
- Experience with digital or technology platforms for program and MEL related activities
- Strong ability to work cross teams
- Communicates well with remote collaborators
- Manages multiple priorities and deadlines
- Excellent oral and written English skills (demonstrate good writing skills)
- Fluency in English strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment
S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive communication skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Mogadishu, Somalia and it requires up to 50 % travel to field offices and program areas in Somalia/land. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.