||CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
Visit www.ctg.org to find out more
|Overview of position
||Our client is an operational arm of the United Nations (UN), supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the UN, they provide sustainable project management, procurement & infrastructure services to a wide range of governments (govts), donors & UN organizations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, they offer their partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, our client makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
||The Senior Project Engineer provides technical assistance & expertise with reference to the feasibility / design / construction requirements as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality & consistency of work. The Senior Project Engineer supervising a diverse technical team promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality & results oriented approach in the project team. He/she will also provide mentorship to junior team members ensuring knowledge transfer for capacity development. Functions include:
- General construction.
- Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE).
- Feasibility / needs assessment.
- Design management.
- Construction supervision.
- Knowledge management.
General construction & construction supervision:
- Plan & coordinate work activities with the Project Manager (PM).
- Timely report, recommend & / or take remedial actions to prevent potential delays & / or cost overruns to the PM.
- Provide supervision of project work progress & quality for on time project delivery.
- Prepare project related documentation such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions & variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand over documents & contracts close out reports.
- Manage final hand over & acceptance report based on technical specifications against the approved project.
- Supervise construction works & administer works execution as per the contractual provisions & the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity / quality control & time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications & inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Ensure construction works are completed on time, within budget & to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress & quality for on time delivery.
- Provide data & information about project work to PM for reporting purposes.
- Ensure that our clients FIDIC contracts are administered appropriately.
- Ensure proper liaison, coordination & exchange of information with the municipal authority.
- Accompany all site visits by any authority & donor representatives.
- Provide a monthly report to the PM detailing all project matters including quality, Health & Safety, Environmental (HSE) & financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations & any other matter as agreed with the PM.
Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE):
- Support the completion of HSSE plans & supporting annexes, as applicable.
- Proactively identify HSSE risks & hazards on site on a daily basis & conduct at least weekly formal HSSE site inspections.
- With the support of the PM & relevant HSSE Subject Matter Experts (SME’s), identify appropriate corrective / mitigation actions to address HSSE risks & hazards identified through daily site visits, weekly site inspections & incident reports & when planning for upcoming construction activities.
- Ensure preventive / corrective actions are carried over timely, follow up on outstanding preventative & corrective actions from site inspections & incident reports.
- Ensure contractor personnel & any site visitors is fully aware of HSSE risks & mitigations measures & follow our clients safety instructions.
- Timely report class 1 & 2 incidents including near misses as per our clients procedures & policies.
- Implement all other HSSE requirements including in our clients projects as required per their internal procedures & policies to ensure a safe working environment
Feasibility / needs assessment:
- Complete needs assessment, organize preliminary studies & monitor / supervise consultants.
- Support the review of requests for new construction & rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments & prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
- Assist the PM in redacting the tender dossier, with particular focus to the technical documents (drawings, BOQ, technical specification & standards).
- Outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary & final stages where applicable.
- Manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time & to the required quality.
- Review & approve the BOQ.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation & bid analysis where required.
- Provide training & technology transfer to national personnel & contractor’s personnel & advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices & appropriate Health & Safety (H&S) standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination & sharing of best practices & lessons learned for development planning & knowledge building.
Impact of results:
- The effective & successful achievement of results by the Senior Project Engineer directly impacts on achievement of the projects & consequently reinforces the visibility & image of our client as an effective service provider in project services & management & strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development & project services.
- The Senior Project Engineer will report to the Project Manager.
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required or a combination of a Bachelor’s Degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined in here.
- AutoCAD certification is desirable.
- Project Management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation is desirable).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience, related to the project requirements, in civil engineering construction management is required.
- Demonstrated International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) contract knowledge is desirable.
- Work experience in post conflict / fragile environments is desirable.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations & / or a developing country is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge & commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation & focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop & maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors & other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner & to manage priorities
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project & in accordance with our clients shared goals.
- Consistently approaches work with energy & a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control & good humored even under pressure.
- The Senior Project Engineer is responsible for keeping abreast of new developments in engineering
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
|Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG ask candidates for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview, assessment and training.