Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior Security Assistant
Vacancy Number: VN/IOMSO/004/2022
Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification: General Service Category, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: 13 December 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Office of Staff Security (OSS) is responsible for providing leadership on safety/security policy management and Mission operational support to enable the safest and most effective implementation and delivery of IOM programs and activities.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM), and under the direct supervision of the Senior Field Security Officer, the Senior Security Assistant (LSA) will be responsible for actively assisting the IOM Somalia Senior Field Security Officer with all aspects of staff safety and security management in Somalia.
The LSA will be expected to implement appropriate safety and security management procedures that will effectively address issues that could and have impact on all safety, security and the protection of IOM personnel and assets, and operations in Mogadishu, Somalia. The LSA will have a daily reporting line to the Senior Field Security Officer-IOM Somalia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinates all security related activities with the Senior field security officer in Mogadishu, as defined by the S/FSO.
- Work closely with UNDSS and other UN Security Officers and offices, Government Security Services, International organizations, and private security personnel, to maintain appropriate lines of communications are established for all aspects of staff safety and security in the sub-office/AOR.
- Monitors and tracks all staff travels and advises staff regarding Security Clearances to ensure all staff is adhering with existing tracking and travel procedures.
- Maintain updated list of all IOM personnel and Tdyers/visitors and dependants in area of responsibility
- Ensures that security administration activities (Security Clearances, profiles, staff lists etc.) are properly completed and archived for future access as required.
- Advises staff in residential security issues and ensure staff comply with Residential security measures.
- Ensures all relevant security information is immediately disseminated in a timely manner to the relevant IOM field office, its staff and SFSO.
- Assists in conducting security assessments/evaluations of offices, vehicles and projects activities and offers appropriate mitigation recommendations. Is fully conversant with and undertakes an active role in the development and implementation of evacuation/emergency security plans in coordination with the S/FSO.
- Prepare mission plans and Conops, coordinate mission logistics and security requirement and submit to SFSO/FSO/UNDSS FSCO for review and further approval by ASC for all low- and High-Profile missions in area of responsibility.
- Provides updated security information to all IOM staff and a detailed security briefing to all new staff members entering the mission and area of Responsibility.
- Ensures that all staff completes the mandatory security trainings (UNDSS BSAFE in the Field online training).
- Is fully competent in and undertakes the coordination of travel security for the sub office staff.
- In co-ordination with the S/FSO coordinates medical evacuations when required.
- Investigates and reports security breaches/incidents within the area of responsibility, works closely with the Government police in efforts to ensure IOM staff, its assets and interests are protected while ensuring strict confidentiality.
- Assists the supervisors in establishing procedures for reviewing crisis situations as directed by the S/FSO.
- Prepares draft security plans for specific areas within the mission’s area of operation including all aspects related to development, implementation and updating of the plans in close cooperation with the S/FSO.
- Supervises the contracted guards in the performance of services, including fire control, first aid procedures, use of equipment and operation of the automated alarm and video surveillance systems if installed. Where training in fire control and first aid is found to be deficient coordinates with the contractor to ensure such training is undertaken.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as may be requested
- Bachelor’s Degree in social science, law enforcement or related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience or;
- High School Degree in the above field with six years of relevant professional.
- Experience working with an international organization or the United Nations.
- Experience in conducting security assessments and security briefings.
- Experience on good political and social knowledge of the country.
- Experience in supervising staff and leading a team.
- Experience on computer literacy with a high degree of proficiency in commonly used applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel are required.
- The ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with others with diverse professional backgrounds is required.
- The ability to handle a heavy workload efficiently with minimal supervision and understanding the importance of close teamwork is highly regarded.
- In security/emergency services dedication to one’s duty is paramount and flexibility and commitment to these duties in an emergency will be expected and appreciated.
- Training in emergency and disaster response is an added advantage.
- The readiness to undergo all required security trainings.
Fluency in English and Somali (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values-all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (VN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com