Role and responsibilities:
The purpose of the officer position is the daily implementation of the WASH and Shelter project activities across different areas of Puntland.
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, and guidelines
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries who are in dire need and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Develop design plans, working drawings, technical specifications, and bill of quantities as per approved standards outlined on the project design for the said project, including emergency Shelter and WASH facilities.
- Establish and oversee the implementation of systems for efficiently controlling the quality of technical works, closely tracking works progress against payment and work plans, and controlling the quality of the final construction outputs per donor and user community expectations.
- Supervise and provide technical support to designing, installation, start-up, testing, system commissioning, or performance monitoring of the solar systems
- Supervise and train water management committees on repairing, maintaining, and operating all solar energy equipment.
- Help prepare project proposals, timeframes, schedules, specifications, and cost estimates as required
- Review and inspect the solar systems installed by the organization periodically and share reports with the line manager.
- Prepare detailed completion reports of the solar systems.
- Explore opportunities for innovative WASH and shelter projects, support in design, implementation, and documenting lessons learned.
- Monitor and report on the WASH and shelter project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standard.
- Oversee Shelter activities, including field assessments, distributions, post distribution monitoring (PDM) and maintenance of the Emergency Stock
- Regularly monitor and review the overall movements of NFIs and Plastic Sheets; deliveries, storage, transport and distribution at the site, verifying if the amounts received have been properly recorded and accounted as suitable, damaged or suspected to be damaged.
- Ensure that all Project documentation is promptly and correctly filled and archived as necessary
- Maintain records and keep track of the Stockpile levels and recommend for timely replenishment of stock.
- Supervise the construction of 1,000 Permanent Shelters as per approved design, drawings and material specifications in Hoodale settlement and give the support to Clark of Work working in the field on daily basis.
- Ensures that standards and specifications for works and materials deliveries are adhered to and gives recommendation(s) to the management as necessary, including certification of completed works for payments.
- Assist in planning for project implementation, including technical activity, budget monitoring, and logistical planning.
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, registration of the beneficiaries, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Recruit, train, and manage incentive workers, including performance appraisal.
- Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities together with the other sectors
- Any other assignment as may be required by the Field coordinator/WASH and shelter Manager.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- At least Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from recognized institution with minimum of 3 years working experience in Somaila with reputable NGOs/INGOs/Government bodies.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Water CAD or any civil works design software is highly desirable
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in WASH and Shelter projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Knowledge of English and local Language-Somali
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels. In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people.
- What We Offer:Contract period: 9 Months, with possible extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Garowe
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Incomplete, email and paper applications will not be considered. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.