Position: SM/Shelter Officer
Department: Project Implementation Unit
Location: Baidoa, Somalia
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: CCCM Specialist
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the SITE MAINTENANCE & SHELTER OFFICERposition in BAIDOA, Somalia.
The SM/Shelter Officer is responsible for all activities associated to site maintenance and improvement works, infrastructure and shelter intervention in the sites (if applicable), under the direct supervision of the DCM/CM. This includes but it is not limited to preparing BoQs, working with ACTED’s logistics department in the procurement of items needed for project implementation, mobilizing, and dealing with contractors, involving and consulting communities prior to any works and ensuring that the needs of vulnerable groups and people with specific needs are taking into account and addressed during activities.
While completing the above-mentioned tasks, the Sr. Site Maintenance Officer trains/supervises the Site maintenance unit composed of the Site Maintenance assistants and skilled/unskilled daily workers. Besides, the Sr. Site Maintenance Officer is responsible for designing a longer-term project workplan for site maintenance-related tasks and ensuring the timely follow-up in accordance with the plan, while adapting if needed
Identify and monitor service and infrastructure gaps on site:
- Assessments and service monitoring:
- Conduct regular service and infrastructure monitoring for the site in close cooperation with the Information Management unit and the protection unit;
- Contribute to the creation of a service monitoring tool in collaboration with the IM and protection units as required;
- Identify and monitor key maintenance needs, including safety risks, with a focus on improving resident’s inclusive access to services;
- Identify immediate solutions to safety risks through referrals or other mitigation measures;
- Utilize service committee and broader community for service monitoring as needed;
- Flag to CCCM Specialist any gaps and duplication in the service delivery and any site upgrading/maintenance intervention needed;
- Support to partners to achieve agreed minimum standards and service delivery quality.
- Community consultation and capacity building
- Contribute to the creation or strengthening of service committees and contribute to ToR creation in collaboration with the other CCCM units;
- Train the committee members to help them fulfil their mandate and support the SM unit with service monitoring;
- Organise regular meetings and community consultations around site maintenance and infrastructure;
- Manage and implement site maintenance activities
- Develop long-term work plans for the implementation of site maintenance activities in line with Sphere standards and community needs, in consultation with the service committee and consideration of environmental impacts;
- Follow up on work plans for the implementation of site maintenance activities;
- Lead the development of procurement plans in line with workplan and in collaboration with CCCM Specialist and the logistics department;
- Prepare accurate BoQs and ensure submission and follow-up on all procurement-related documentation from the submission of OFs until the signature of the completion certificate;
- Be the main focal point of contractors and monitor their implementation;
- Ensure all the necessary measure to guarantee safety of casual labours, contractors and site population are in place through the implementation of the work;
- Lead the procurement, storing and management of tools and items for site upgrading/site maintenance in coordination with the logistic department and ensure compliance with ACTED internal procedures;
- Flag directly foreseen challenges / issues arise in link with the Site maintenance activities to CCCM Specialist, including security incidents;
- Compliance and reporting
- Ensure accurate record keeping of project documentation, including hard and soft copies of procurement documents to be filed on the server;
- Ensure compliance with ACTED internal procedures and donor procedures;
- Ensure thorough reporting internally and externally as required;
- Protection mainstreaming
- Support and consider gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities;
- Adhere and Promote to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse principles and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies)
- Support and promote participation of women, youth, and marginalised groups
- Refer immediately protection cases identified to ACTED Protection Officer for referral to protection actors.
- Lead recruitment of new staff for the SM unit, under guidance of the DCM/CM;
- Recruitment, day to day supervision and management of Site Maintenance Assistants and Site Maintenance skilled/unskilled workers (i.e. attendance sheet signature, follow-up with finance); Commitment to continuous learning through trainings and timely identification of capacity-building needs and opportunities, in coordination with the DCM/CM and HR department.
Qualifications/Skills and Experience
- University degree with major in civil engineering
- At least 2-year experience working in shelter or site maintenance, preferably with an NGO
- At least 1-year experience managing a team;
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (i.e. particularly MS Excel);
- Fluency in local language and English (i.e. speaking and writing);
- Excellent time management skills;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong attention to details;
- Does not reside in the camp.
- In-camp working experience
- Experience using ODK/KOBO for quantitative data collection;
- Certificate/training in site planning, carpentry, construction, heavy machinery operations, etc.
How to apply
Qualified Nationals persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March 2023. The application should bear the subject line “SM/SHELTER OFFICER – BAIDOA”
Please Apply for ONLY ONE POSITION
Do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.