IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentialit
The key mission of the FAO Representation in Somalia, which is led by the FAO Representative (FAOR), is to assist and support the national government in developing policies, strategies and programme aimed at accelerating the implementation and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in FAO’s global mandate and strategic objectives.
More specifically, FAO’s response aims to address national needs and priorities in achieving food security, reducing hunger and malnutrition, developing agricultural, fishery and forestry sectors, ensuring the sustainable use of environmental and natural resources and responding to recurrent emergencies.
The current portfolio of activities of the FAO Representation in Somalia includes a wide scope of technical support interventions ranging from policy support through livestock and crop production to natural resource management, Nutrition, value chain, food security analysis and water and land information management. FAO is also implementing several emergency, resilience-building, and development interventions, with the support of its five field offices and close to 400 staff in partnership with the Federal and State line ministries.
The position is under the overall supervision of the FAO Somalia Representative Under the direct supervision of the Head of Information & Systems Management Unit, the Software Developer – Android and .NET will support in implementing the specified changes to the software, maintain and support the system in line with industry best practice standards as well as FAO Software development standards.
In addition, the Software Developer – Android and .NET will assist and support the Client Team Leader in Android development. Ensuring new requirements are implemented and developed according to industry best practices and performing software troubleshooting of all Android based applications like BiMO, TiMO, NiMO and ViMO.
FAO Somalia implemented a database driven software – FMM (Financial Management Module – Phase I) to support cash and non-cash based beneficiaries’ assistance workflow in compliance with MS702 guidelines on cash transfers.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Support in configuration of FMM to conform to FAO Somalia cash transfer workflows and in compliance with MS702;
• Ensure all users are setup in the system and appropriate rights, roles and privileges allocated and de-allocated as and when required;
• Assist to implement any and all reports needed in the system at the outset and whenever requested by program units;
• Train users on how to use FMM, BiMO, TiMO and other systems to perform intended tasks as per organizational guidelines and expectations;
• Support all FMM, BiMO, TiMO and other systems users from time to time and involve other IM members in supporting users in the office;
• Participate in enhancing FMM, BiMO, TiMO and other systems by adding or changing features as per user’s request;
• Make appropriate recommendations to FAO Somalia management on how to improve FMM, BiMO, TiMO and other systems to make them more adaptable and robust to FAO Somalia;
• Assist in managing payment requests;
• Centralize management of all documents related to a Payment (Signed POs, DOs, invoices, memos and disbursement vouchers);
• Managing payment approvals;
o Routing payment documents for signatures and approval.
o Tracking approval history.
• Configure and maintain the database (Microsoft SQL server) and web/application (Internet Information Services (IIS)) servers;
• Implement backup procedures to ensure business continuity in case of server or system downtime;
• Create test plans for all systems being developed or configured;
• Document tests, inputs, expected outputs and actual outputs;
• In consultation with other users, design and create reports that they would find useful. This would be generated periodically. The report parameters will be decided by the consumer;
• Integrate FMM, BiMO, TiMO and other systems with other existing systems via APIs in for accuracy, efficiency, effectiveness and improvement in FAOSO’s work;
• Work together with FAO colleagues to improve GRMS-FMT-FMM API and ensure available data in GRMS can be accessed in FMM through FMT;
• Train FAOSO staff and all other stakeholders on various systems and technologies used by FAOSO to achieve its objectives through various programs and projects;
• Work with other colleagues to write and update technical and user documents touching on various systems, technologies and workflows;
• Provide day-to-day user support on FMM, BiMO, TiMO and other systems;
• Take in change/enhancement requests and implement them to improve functionality and usability;
• Train/onboard new users;
• Carry out research and development on various problems and challenges being faced in the office and field during delivery of services to FAOSO beneficiaries;
• Carry out other and all duties as may be assigned from time to time.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in software engineering, computer science or related fields with solid foundation in application development.
• A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in building and managing scalable applications.
• Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English) and working knowledge of the local language(s) is required.
• National of Somalia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Proficiency in generating customer focused designs (UI/UX/CX)
• Proficiency in building restful services and interactive dashboards in Python, Java or PHP
• Deep technical knowledge of relational databases – MySQL, PostgreSQL
• Working experience in integrating services to MNO’s and aggregators
• Proficiency in setting up and managing SMS and VoIP gateways is an advantage
• Professional work experience in mobile VAS integrations and application development is an advantage.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT