Technical Specialist – Education & Protection (South)
- Baidoa, Somalia
- Hargeisa, Somalia
- Garowe, Somalia
- job requisition id
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:
Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)Job Description:
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The position will provide technical leadership for World Vision Somalia’s Education, Protection and gender sector programming, ensure quality of designs and implementation, and oversee the capacity building of staff and partners in implementation of programs so that the portfolio promotes child wellbeing and community resilience.
The position will also strengthen the visibility and credibility of World Vision’s Education, Protection Gender and Safeguarding programming with regulatory authorities, donors, World Vision, the UN, and other technical and coordination forums at both regional and national levels. The position holder will be responsible for ensuring that project activities successfully integrate gender issues and mainstream vulnerable populations including women and people with disabilities.
Staff & Partner Capacity Building and/Technical Support
- Identify gaps in knowledge and skills of staff and partners, and develop and implement capacity building plans to address them.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, training and technical assistance to staff.
- Coach and mentor staff to adopt best practices and innovative designs.
- Strengthen linkages between local field teams and partners, learning and research institutions and World Vision Technical Teams for purposes of learning and capacity development.
- Provide technical guidance to project teams during project implementation to ensure projects meet or supersede established standards.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Review and contextualizing of the Child and Adult Safeguarding Management Policy every 36 months.
- Annual submission of the national office Safeguarding Update Report; Staff and partners’ capacity building on child and adult safeguarding standards (face to face and online); Develop and deliver training to program staff and relevant stakeholders on gender-related issues, tools and approaches, and conduct awareness raising initiatives.
- Support regional offices to develop Safeguarding Incident Preparedness Plans (SIPP).
- Support management of Child and Adult Safeguarding incidents in line with the SIPP.
- Provide support to the management and investigation of safeguarding incidents.
- Develop and monitor gender sensitive indicators as well as the consistent use of gender disaggregation in reporting, in order to better quantify gender-related impacts and outcomes.
- Lead the development and implementation of evidence-based equity and social inclusion analysis and the accompanying action plans
- Support the project management teams, develop and monitor gender sensitive indicators as well as the consistent use of gender disaggregation in reporting, in order to better quantify gender-related impacts and outcomes.
- Provide technical guidance to the Enterprise Risk Management Committee on Safeguarding Risk identification and mitigation;
Design, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide technical guidance during design, assessment and evaluation exercises for programs.
- Review M&E tools, ensuring assessment, evaluation and monitoring tools are technically sound and yield useful information for design and implementation purposes.
- Ensure evaluation results are shared with relevant partners and effectively used for project redesign.
- In close collaboration with QA&S, develop evidence base for different sector technical approaches through evaluations, case studies, feasibility assessments, impact reports, pilot approaches and emerging best practices.
- Maintain effective project quality assurance mechanisms, including monitoring system for tracking of project progress against indicators, activities and key project milestones, reporting, evaluation, and communication systems.
- Provide technical input in indicator development to ensure they adhere to design and sector standards.
- Ensure WV Education and Safeguarding technical approaches and models align with government priorities, UN Cluster standards, and emerging NGO good practices.
- Monitor and ensure sector/project quality; and contribute to the development of a monitoring, evaluation and learning framework to track progress and results.
- Lead and advice the sector team and other stakeholders in the design and rollout of implementation tools.
External Engagement and Funding Acquisition
- Take lead in scoping and proposal development processes within their technical field of expertise; and develop technical approaches and emergency response concept notes to pre-position proposal development, ensuring context relevance and promoting innovation.
- Provide technical input in the development of proposals.
- Provide support in developing proposal in collaboration with Operation team and PDU team.
- Liaise with relevant government ministries, UN Cluster, WV entities (SomRep & EARO/GC) to ensure that technical approaches align with standards.
- Represent World Vision in engagement opportunities with the donor, the State government, UN agencies, clusters, implementing and technical partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- Establish networks with key Sector donors and leading NGOs and their technical staff in collaboration with PDU and PDQA-D.
- Collaborate with World Vision stakeholders, positioning Somalia as “National Office of Choice” for Gender, Education and Safeguarding funding acquisition.
Program Integration and Management
- Support project teams to achieve on-time, on-target, on-budget implementation of projects across Somalia; Provide and offer some implementation support to project managers/coordinators in their tasks.
- Provide support to project management teams to develop project planning documents for projects in technical field (TORs, Design Specifications, Risk Registers, etc.)
- support with Projects design, monitoring and evaluation thus identifying short-comings in implementation, reporting, and technical understanding and work with project teams, M&E focal points field-level leadership to co-create technical solutions.
- Liaise with other Technical advisors within WV in order to create synergies and standard systems across programs and promote integrated program design and implementation document and share lessons learned, experiences, observations and challenges.
Reporting and Donor Communication
- Review programme/project reports for compliance and quality of implementation, and give feedback to the project teams.
- Prepare annual management report and other briefs on Education and Safeguarding sector’s contribution to World Vision Somalia’s Child Well-Being indicators.
- Provide mentoring/coaching in reports preparation to Project Managers.
- Take the lead in ensuring that the Sector 4W reporting is done in a timely manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Education, Development studies, Sociology or any relevant field with more than 5 years international experience.
- Postgraduate studies in relevant filed will be an added advantage.
- Strong writing skills: Able to draft case studies, project reports, concept notes, and other program materials in clear and concise English, and under tight deadlines.
- High capacity to review, absorb and apply emerging evaluations and studies from the Somalia Health and Nutrition sector to WV’s approaches.
- Proven networking abilities: Able to quickly connect and build mutual trust and collaborative working relationships with Education and Protection sector donors, NGO staff and leadership, Government representatives, and community leaders.
- Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as negotiation skills.
- Advanced computer skills especially in evaluation and health data
- 7 years’ experience in a humanitarian or development context, preferably with experience in fragile context.
- Experience working and living in a different country or cultural context
- Training in Humanitarian standards, Design for Behavior Change, Donor rules and regulations training (USAID, EU, DFID, etc.) is desirable.
- Good trainer with proven facilitation skills.
- Ability to navigate complex relationships and negotiations from working in difficult contexts.
- Ability to work closely with field based national staff and experience in various staff training and development approaches.
- Office, with frequent field travel to project sites in South Somalia, Somaliland and Puntland
- Travel: Domestic and international travel is required for this position.
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted