Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is one of the largest aid organisations in the Nordic region. We are there in disasters and emergencies to provide water and critical assistance to those affected. Together with our international network and partner organisations in the ACT Alliance we are able to reach millions of people each year and help make a positive difference around the world. We are determined to work towards eradicating injustice, and we therefore work passionately with advocacy, long-term development in local communities and providing emergency assistance. As we see more and more people impacted by disasters, we now have an even stronger focus on providing more people with emergency relief and access to clean water. We believe that people in need must be helped, and we will not stop fighting for a just world.
NCA Technical Line Manager’s name and job titleEconomic Empowerment Advisor
Key Areas of Responsibility
The core responsibility of the VSLA field officer will be responsible in the implementation of NCA VSLA program in the Gedo, He/she will ensure all the proposed objectives and targets are achieved including guidance to successful formation of VSLA activities, identification, and verification of beneficiaries for VSLA’s, formation of VSLA groups and reporting, monitoring and evaluation of VSLA activitiesMAIN TASKS
- Facilitate planning, organizing, and management of VSLA and IGA related activities
- Conduct awareness /sensitization on VSLA and IGA activities among communities and local leaders
- Facilitate beneficiary identification in consultation with communities and local leaders using set of criteria’s
- Facilitate and ensure establishment of village savings and loans association groups, IGA groups and VST among the target communities.
- Develop work plans (Weekly, Monthly and Quarterly) to ensure effective implementation of VSLA related activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan
- Key technical tasks. ensure improved, efficient & effective program
- Identify technical capacity and challenges for beneficiaries and village agent’s face and skills/knowledge they have in VSLA, Business development skills, Income generating activities (IGAs) e.t.c.
- Oversee and regularly monitor when the VSLA groups are conducting the share purchase, social contributions and borrowing and repayment of loans to ensure proper documentation/recording of VSLA field cash box.
- Train beneficiaries and Groups on VSLA methodology and skills, groups/cooperatives, and marketing.
- Train economic development groups/associations/committees on governance, leadership, VSLA, BDS.
- Ensure sorting out any misunderstanding that may arise with in VSLA group members to ensure smooth running and prevent drop out.
- Ensure linkage/integration economic development activities with Agro pastoral and pastoral activities to foster synergies under the drought recovery project
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Documentation and Reporting.
- Conduct regular follow-up visits to VSLAs, IGAs groups and VST graduates to see if they are applying the technologies/practices and provide technical assistance where there are gaps
- Conduct regular visits to project sites to monitor the implementation of NCA and partners activities, gather feedback from beneficiaries and provide documentation and dissemination of key findings stemming from monitoring, assessment, and other learning activities.
- Track progress of the savings groups, VSLAs and IGA activities to see if targets set in the annual work plan are achieved
- Facilitate data collection from savings groups and mange/supervise the MIS information flow to Program Manager.
- Support the preparation of monitoring plans for the savings groups and ensure they get involved in own monitoring and evaluation of VSLAs, IGAs etc activities
- Consolidate/compile monthly, quarterly, and annual activity reports and special events showing achievements, lessons, constraints, and recommendations which should be submitted to relevant authority at the agreed time
- Represent NCA – in the field meeting relevant to VSLA and pre urban activities, meetings with government, INGOs, Local NGOs and other players in the districtPlan for and facilitate evidence, learning and reflection events at community level, with partners and NCA staff for the programs in the region
- Build relationship and coordinate with stakeholders (local leaders, district authorities, microfinance institutions, etc.), relevant government Ministries/departments.
- Participate in field level coordination meeting with local government authorities and other agencies.
- Program / Humanitarian Accountability – to affected populations (AAP)
- Act as a focal point for Community Response and feedback Mechanism (CRM) and ensure proper documentation. The Officer will manage key field-level accountability mechanisms, routinely analyse community feedback, generate trend reports, and capture lessons learnt and best practice for internal and external learning as well as use in future designs.
- Spearhead the implementation of strategies to achieve improvement in community engagement, information-sharing, community participation, complaints, and feedback mechanisms by supporting the programme teams to develop contextualized complaint and response mechanism to improve accountability to affected populations (AAP), as well as current project implementation and future programming conform to common humanitarian quality standards (CHS).
- Monitor adherence of NCA and partner projects and programs to Common Humanitarian Standards (CHS).
Education Qualifications / requirements
- University Degree in Business Management, Micro Finance, Entrepreneurship, Livelihoods, Food security, Rural Development, Community Development & other relevant fields from a recognized University or Institution
- At least Minimum of 4-5 years of demonstrable relevant VSLA & business development, Food security Livelihoods and economic empowerment, field, and good understanding of the context Gedo Region
- Experience in enterprise development, Vocational skills training, Value chain development preferably in Somalia.
- Demonstrated experience in community mobilization, trainings monitoring of programs and reporting of activities will be required.
- Knowledge and experience working in conflict areas
- Working Knowledge on Results Based Management (RBM), Do No Harm (DNH) and Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (fluency in both English and Somali required).
- Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, EXCEL spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team.
- Ability and willingness to work and travel throughout Gedo region of Somalia.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively handle stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
- Excellent spoken and written English
Applicants, who meet the requirements and qualifications outlined above, should submit an application letter indicating location interested in on the cover letter.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
NCA is an equal opportunity employer and women, people with disabilities, and those from marginalized backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
Work environment: Based in the field in a specific project location with 100% field presence with frequent travels to meet beneficiaries and stakeholders within the project locations.
Travel: Considerable amount of travel is required within the project areas in Jubbaland.
Contract period: 1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding and performance review.
Salary: According to NCA salary scale.
Duty Station: 1 Garbaharey, 2 Luuq, 2 Dollow, 2 Belet Hawo and 1 Burdhubo (8 position)
Travel: Frequent travels