The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization which has been operating in Somalia since 1997. DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict and natural disaster. DRC programs include Camp Coordinator and Camp Management, WASH, Shelter, Protection, Food security, and Economic Recovery with a large focus on emergency response programming.
About the job
The WASH Assistant will be responsible for the implementation of DRC WASH infrastructure program in Galkacyo. The WASH Assistant’s He/She primary function is to assist the WASH Officer to ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of WASH activities being implemented by DRC. Specifically, the WASH Assistant is expected to conduct the day to day implementation of water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities especially in the areas of intervention in Galkacyo.
- To carry out Need and technical assessment for all type of WASH infrastructures.
- Preparation and Submission of order requests as per DRC policies and procedures.
- To conduct trainings regarding operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities for beneficiaries and water management committees
- Organize and implement hygiene promotion training as required
- Liaise and secure consent from the local authorities and beneficiary prior to intervention
- Regular monitoring of ongoing construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executing as per design, specifications and work schedule.
- Preparation of weekly monthly work plans and progress reports
- Preparation of feasibility reports and completion certificates
- Verify the work done at site and recommend for the payments to contractor(s)/casual labors etc
- Preparation of all the payment documents, after verification, submission it to procurement department
- Working in harmony with all other project staff and field team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH project in Galkacyo.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Coordinate with other stakeholder on the ground for smooth, efficient and effective implementation of the activities
- Ensuring integration of WASH, Protection, livelihood and shelter activities through close coordination
- Other relevant duties as directed by WASH Team leader
Experience,Education and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Experience in Microsoft Office and internet
- Knowledge of GPS, Arc GIS and Google Earth
- Knowledge of English (written and spoken)
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor
- Very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, program and stakeholders in Somalia
- Thorough knowledge of SPHERE Shelter and WASH in emergencies standards.
- Experience working in volatile areas
- Experience in community-based interventions
- Minimum At least 1-year programming experience with relevant working experience (Specifically in WASH) in INGO agency or Non-Governmental Organization.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Good knowledge of sphere and HAP standards
- University degree in Public health, Diploma in Public Health, Environmental Health Science or equivalent professional qualification.
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Month
Band: This position is graded as Band I-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
Designation of Duty Station: Galkacyo
Start date: 16th April 2023
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 29th March 2023
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.