The DRC Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region and has been providing relief and development services since 1997. DRC is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
About the job.
The WASH Assistant will be responsible for the implementation of DRC WASH intervention program in Mogadishu. He/ She primary function is to assist all Wash activities to ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of Wash activities being implemented by DRC. Specifically, He/ She is expected to conduct the day to day implementation of water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities especially in the areas of intervention in Mogadishu
Duties and Responsibilities
The role of the post holder will predominantly fall into the following key responsibility, but not limited to.
- To carry out Need and technical assessment for all type of Wash activities.
- Preparation and Submission of order requests as per DRC policies and procedures
- To conduct trainings regarding operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities for beneficiaries and water management committees.
- Organize and implement hygiene promotion training as required.
- Liaise and secure consent from the local authorities and beneficiary prior to intervention
- Regular monitoring of ongoing construction activities to ensure that all the activities are executing as per design, specifications and work schedule.
- Preparation of weekly monthly work plans and progress reports.
- Preparation of feasibility reports and completion certificates.
- Verify the work done at site and recommend for the payments to contractor(s)/casual labors etch
- Preparation of all the payment documents, after verification, submission it to procurement department
- Working in harmony with all other project staff and field team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH project in Mogadishu.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Coordinate with other stakeholder on the ground for smooth, efficient and effective implementation of the activities.
- Ensuring integration of WASH, Protection, livelihood and shelter activities through close coordination.
- Other relevant duties as directed by Supervisor.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum At least 1-year programming experience with relevant working experience (Specifically in WASH) in INGO agency or Non-Governmental Organization.
- Diploma in Public Health, Environmental Health Science or equivalent professional qualification.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Good knowledge of sphere and HAP standards.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, program and stakeholders in Somalia.
- Thorough knowledge of SPHERE Shelter and WASH in emergencies standards.
- Experience working in volatile areas.
- Experience in community-based interventions.
- Experience in Microsoft Office and internet.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Months.
Band: (Non-management -I2)
Designation of Duty Station: Mogadishu Somalia
Start date: April 2023.
The position is open to Somalia national only.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 9th April 2023.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.