Position: WASH Project Manager
Department: Project Implementation Unit
Direct Hierarchy: Area Coordinator
Starting date: December 2022
Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the WASH Project Manager position in Baidoa, Somalia.
The WASH Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring proper implementation of ACTED’s WASH project. S/he will oversees field operations and ensures effective and timely completion of activities, delivery of quality outputs and achievement of outcomes with maximum impact for beneficiaries. The Project Manager supervises the project staff in day to day management of all aspects of the project and liaises with relevant internal departments and external partners and project stakeholders. The PM ensures the overall success of the program by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; and that the program is completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality. He will be under operational guidance of the Area Coordinator and technical guidance of the WASH Technical Coordinator
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project planning and implementation follow up.
- Ensure effective implementation of ACTED WASH programming in accordance with program requirements and in line with Donor regulations, WHO and international standards;
- Coordinate and work closely with Program Team throughout programme planning, design implementation and monitoring and evaluation
- Oversee selection and repair of selected water sources;
- Conduct capacity-building for community groups and staff in the area of water resource management, Hygiene and Sanitation;
- Be responsible for providing Technical guidance on all WASH components of program in Baido, giving support to the Program team and the implementing partners during planning, designing and implementation of WASH activities.
- Provide technical leadership and support program staff in the design of a medium to long-term interventions, which address current emergency needs but which takes a longer-term view in enhancing mitigation to future crises and accountable management of resources.
- Together with program team, implement WASH activities in line with the programme proposals and donor requirements and ensure timely production of and submission of programme reports and budget revisions
- Continuously review WASH strategy and programme approaches to appropriately address and accommodate emerging field context
- Participate in conducting joint assessments and planning responses together with other team and follow up on the recommendations
- Propose innovative WASH approaches relevant to the Somalia context including on climate change, water resource management, water quality, water security etc.
- Ensure that there is creative and holistic approach to WASH programming, assist the team in finding ways to integrate/link and combine hygiene & health promotion, water and sanitation facilities design, construction & maintenance, with Health , Nutrition, Livelihoods and food security etc.
- To provide guidance and training to program staff to ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues
- To provide technical expertise and guidance to staff as appropriate, in (for example, but not limited to) assessment, monitoring, evaluation, reporting (Internal and Donor Reports), financial management, proposal development, technical design of water and sanitation facilities and the exercise of judgment skills.
- Participate proactively and contribute in the WASH sector meetings and, at a technical level engage with UN agencies and State Government line ministries in SWS.
- Ensure the development, implementation and periodic review of detailed annual implementation plans for the various WASH projects
- Develop and implement a monitoring plan for all WASH activities in the area of jurisdiction. Identify forums for community involvement in monitoring of WASH activities. Integrate WASH into primary activities. Work closely with field teams on objectives, indicators and activities and develop clear monitoring frameworks for each program in collaboration with the M & E Officers
3. Supervision and Training
- Directly supervise the WASH Officer(s)
- Develop and implement capacity building plans for WASH Officer(s) and Wash community Mobilizers.
- Develop and implement context specific training guides on hygiene promotion for community volunteers.
- Develop Clear plan for Community Water tracking
- Provide timely reports on the field trips, monitoring visits and assessments to the Area Coordinator.
- Compile weekly, monthly and other ACTED substantial reports as may be required, including donor reports.
- Perform any other duties as required
- Degree/Diploma with 4 years working experience in the field of public health, WASH or water engineering or other related disciplines; plus, relevant work experience in community water, Sanitation and hygiene programs for displaced populations.
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of water and sanitation projects. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Fluency in English, oral and written with strong report writing skills
- Project Management
- Knowledge on Wash Programming
- Knowledge in Budget Management
- Transparency and accountability
- Planning and organizing
- Effective communication
- Report Writing
How to apply
Qualified Somali Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on 11th December 2022 with the subject line
“WASH Project Manager – Baidoa”
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.